horrendously noisy chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by char032, Jun 27, 2011.

1. char032

char032 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2010
    I have a Speckled Sussex that sounds like a dying pterodactyl. She moans, screeches, and yells constantly throughout the day regardless of the situation. Neighbors have even stopped by asking if she was alright and not being murdered. I was wondering if anyone knows of a few tricks to get a chicken to pipe down. I figure it is a long shot, but thought I would give it a try since I do live in an Urban setting, and am somewhat concerned about annoying my neighbors. No to mention it is driving me nuts too. Thanks!

2. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    [​IMG] Sorry for laughing, I have 2 Speckled Sussex myself and I know what noises you are talking about....mine are 14 weeks and just started making them. I've been told those are Speckled Sussex noises (don't know if it pertains to ALL Sussex or just the Speckled ones) When I'm home I know they don't make them all day long, but they sure start up when I go out, especially when I have the treat bowl in hand. I have 2 Sussex, 2 Easter Eggers, and 2 Silver-laced Wyandottes. The Sussex are the noisiest, followed by the EE, the Wyandottes are very quiet. Sorry, don't know how to make them be quieter.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My SS would be the noisiest if it weren't for the EE who sounds like a goose....

4. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    One of my EEs honks sometimes too....sounds so funny!!

5. mysweetgypsy

mysweetgypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I was going to post something about duck noises?! When I opened the coop the other day I thought a duck had been thrown in somehow [​IMG] We don't keep ducks. I never figured it out, but I have 2 EEs in the bunch, hmm [​IMG]

6. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Hmmm...funny you mention it! We have a Speckled Sussex that we named "Mouthy", because she is always loud and telling anyone that will listen the days business. Aparently a trait of the breed!

7. meowteri2

meowteri2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    chicago sw suburbs
    My isa browns and barred rock honk at egg time. Sometimes so bad the guy next door goes back there to see if they are ok. I think they complain about getting in the nest box
    if one is already in there. Sometimes I go and talk to them and they get quite while I am talking.

8. annep

annep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Remind me not to get those kind of chickens! Our RIR"s are already so loud, it annoys the heck out of me!

9. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I have two brown EE's that whine, moan and holler all day long. They've always done it, and they are certainly not ill - they are perky, well appearing, good weight, laying eggs, etc.. but they are whiny whiny whiny chickens. Not sure there's much to do. [​IMG]

My leghorns and RIR just walk around all day muttering (except for egg song).. but those EE's.. yikes.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  10. boxedcow

boxedcow Out Of The Brooder

I am glad I read this, my EE did the honking the other day I thought she injured herself and I got all freaked out [​IMG] I guess I can stop checking on her. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by