1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Horrible attack by family dog

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vigchicktroop, Aug 5, 2014.

1. vigchicktroop

vigchicktroop New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    My dog was spooked by the storm last night and got into the coop to seek shelter and went after my girls. He killed my silver laced belle, got my maran under her wing not barring any weight on it, tore all the tail feathers out of my white laced red wyandotte, she seems to be just shaken up she is up walking around the coop, my blue cochin Violet got beat up pretty many puncture wounds under wing and bite marks on the back. A friend of mine helped me clean them up as best we could and we brought the most injured ones into the house and made beds for them in plastic totes. I am wondering if it is normal after an attack so horrific they just sleep most of the day. I can't seem to keep my Black Maran awake. My blue cochin is trying to walk but she just falls she is eating and drinking. It was a sigh of relief when I woke up this morning and they were alive I thought for sure they would die from shock last night. We steri-strip the wounds closed after we cleaned them out. any more ideas of what I should look for and how long should I keep them in a tote? Thank you so much in advanced! suggestion and comments welcomed. :)

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC, and sorry about your chickens. I would try some electrolytes and vitamins in their water, and if awake enough, try to dip their beaks into the water or feed some with a dropper. Wounds are best washed under a kitchen sprayer or cleaned with weak betadine or antiseptic soap like Hibiclens. I would not try to close the wounds, but apply antibiotic ointment (plain) such as Neosporin. They should heal from the inside out, and to close them up may cause them to abscess.

I'm sure they are in shock, and may sleep for awhile. But have some chopped scrambled eggs and their usual feed nearby for them to eat if they are awake. Hopefully they will all recover, but keep an eye out for infection (bad odor, redness, or puss drainage.) Keep them inside away from flies to prevent maggots in wounds.

3. vigchicktroop

vigchicktroop New Egg

Aug 5, 2014
    Well I just lost my Black Maran. My blue cochin is eating some mashed bananas with her food I will scramble up some eggs for her also. she is drinking plain water. Have you heard of putting apple cider vinegar in their water do you think that would help her some? I don't have any electrolytes. Thank you for your help. If my other girls have wounds on them they are still in the coop I cleaned their wounds last night but i didn't even think about the flies and them getting maggots thank you for the info

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION
    1/2 teaspoon salt substitute*
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon table salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 gallon water
    *Salt substitute is readily available in most stores in the spice aisle near the salt, but if you do not have it, don't worry, the solution will still have most of the benefits intended to combat heat stress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by