1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Horrible but necessary decision

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Robin'sBrood, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

I have 4 dogs. 2 were adopted from animal shelters and 1 was a stray that I took in. The last dog I adopted is about 15 years old. She is very thin and can not put weight on. What few teeth she has are in terrible shape. She has cataracts and poor hearing. She has a big (about the size of a silver dollar) nasty bleeding wart on her side, and a smaller one on the top of her head.

The big wart is gross! It bleeds and then this scab thing will form over the top of it making it smell HORRIBLE... like rotting flesh (no joke.) I can't leave her outside for more than a few minutes now that it is summer because the wart attracts blow flies. [​IMG] You can't clean it. You can't bandage it. You can't do anything to make it stop bleeding. My vet said they could not remove it with a local because she wouldn't stay still enough. So, they would have to use general and put her under to remove it.

Here is where the terrible decision comes in. I've made the very hard decision to have her put to sleep due to the wart. That sounds terrible, I know, but I just don't want to put a lot of $ into a dog that is so old and frail. I have a 6 year old dog that has some major medical stuff going on now and I need to have all extra $ (HA!) available for him. Besides, I could have the wart removed and then she could die from old age 3 weeks later. Or she might not survive the general and surgery anyway.

I don't really know why I posting this. I guess I just need to get it off my chest. I feel so bad for her, but then I remind myself that she was going to be gassed to death at the pound the next day if I had not adopted her. No one was looking at her because it was full of puppies. Seeing her in there broke my heart and I didn't want such an old dog to die alone like that. She has spent the last 5 months living with a family (us) that has shown her nothing but love and affection. She will die by the tender hand of her vet. She will be buried in our backyard, as if we've had her since she was a puppy. She will have the dignified death of a beloved pet and not the sad death of a thrown away shelter animal. She will feel no pain and will simply go to sleep. My head knows all this. My head is telling me it's the right thing to do. Why is my heart refusing to listen? [​IMG]

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I agree with your decision and support the fact that you are doing this.

Henry

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Because our heads don't hurt...our hearts do. [​IMG] I know it is hard and I am sorry you are facing this decision. I had a dog when I was about 16 with a similar sounding wart. I did not have him put down and I now truly believe it was wrong to keep him alive and, most likely, suffering. He couldn't have handled the surgery to remove it and I couldn't do it. Now I wish I had. Do what you feel is right and just know that hurting is a normal part of it. Good luck. [​IMG]

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I think our hearts tend to "feel" for the way the animal lived. You feel sorry that she was in the pound and who knows where else before that. We feel that it wasn't "fair" for the dog to live that way and that it's not fair that she couldn't enjoy more of her life with you.

Our emotions are funny things. I do believe you are doing the right thing though. You did a great thing for adopting her, even for that short time. I think it was that short time she was happy with you, that made all the difference.

-Kim

5. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    You gave her a good home & lots of love for the few months you have had her. I think you did a great thing and letting her go peacefully is also the right thing to do.

6. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thank y'all, I need to hear this. I took her outside this evening after the sun set (so the flies wouldn't attack) and sat with her and fed her leftover pork ribs. She was in doggie nirvana getting a treat like that, that's for sure!

She is a such a good dog, why does she have to have the blasted stinking wart? [​IMG] It was scabbed over and covered with fur when I adopted her so I just thought it was a wound of some sort. After my vet shaved the area and cleaned it up we were able to see what it really was. I've often wondered if that is why she was in the pound in the first place.

7. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:It very well could be the reason. [​IMG] I didn't mention that my dog was only with me about a year before he died. Someone had dumped him by the road (in the snow) to die....most likely because of his stinky wart. Just know that she feels loved and that makes all the difference.

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Now THAT is love. I know many people who allow their old, blind, deaf, and sick dogs suffer because they can't bear to give them a good end. I applaud your wisdom and courage. I had to make a similar decision with my best friend and still mourn him 7 years later. I am glad that I could help him die painlessly....my last act of love for that wonderful, wonderful animal. Thank you for sharing your feelings with us.

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I just did the same thing a couple weeks ago to my wolf. Sounds like the same thing. Same reason, I had to put him down. With summer, and flies, and he was seventeen years old and there was just no way to fix it.
    I put him down myself at home. It was real tough to do.
    RIP Patches...
    [​IMG]

10. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    What a beautiful wolf..

-Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by