1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Horrible dry skin! Help?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by The Red Rooster, Oct 18, 2011.

1. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

I have horrible dry skin on my scalp. When I pick the stuff off, it bleeds. It's like pulling up dried glue. [​IMG]

I need some help! What cures it? I've been dealing with this for a long time.

BTW it's above my fore head. The place where it drys up is swollen. It's like a bump in my head.

2. shelleen

shelleen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    I work in a pharmacy & it sounds like something you need to visit the doctor for. I am assuming you have already been trying some things & this is not a sudden-onset ailment (medicated shampoo, tea tree oil, etc). It sounds like a Rx product might be needed. That is my "semi" professional opinion...

3. Longhorns&Chickens

Longhorns&Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Ugh I have the same problem!!! Mine is on the scalp but on the back of my head! My scalp is red and irritated and ooohh the itching! I have been to the doctor and they prescribed me a fungal shampoo, but it doesn't seem to be helping, maybe just a little with the itching,but not much! The doctor calls it seboric dermatitus, but I really doubt her on this one. She wants to switch me to some sort of cream that goes on at night and washes out in the morning, but it is super expensive even with insurance and she isn't sure it will work! I hate the guessing games, I think I would rather just see the dermatologist and go from there. I got some chickweed salve from the Amish and it seems to relieve some of the problem but makes my hair so greasy I can't stand it! Baking Soda in a moisturising shampoo gives me some relief too, and I also take a multivitamin daily for good measure. I hope you find a cure! Keep me posted I would love to get rid of mine, I've had it going on 3 years now!! [​IMG]

4. NorthTexaschick

NorthTexaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Denton area
    Tried "Scalpicin"? CVS has a generic version.

5. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    Hello Red Rooster,

I would suggest going to the dermatologist.
    I am no doctor either, but the way you describe it, it sounds like psoriasis.
    If it is, it is best to get control of it now.

Beth

PS
    Stop picking if you can, it only aggravates the growth of more scales.

6. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    Quote:I agree my Grandfather had it and thats what it sounds like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by