Horrible experience with first incubator run.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tank1970, Mar 5, 2009.

1. tank1970

tank1970 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    Trinity, Tx.
    I bought the Little Giant incubator and was very excited to make some fresh chickens. I followed the instructions religiously and only got 3 out of 31 to hatch. I opened many of them and they were perfectly formed, but dead. The ones that did hatch were two days late and one died since hatching. I started a new, smaller batch yesterday and got my new digital thermometer/hygrometer in the mail today. The thermometer that came with the incubator was 5 degrees high. There were three that came with it and one out of three was all that read right. I was so disappointed and it wasn't due to anything I did. I am hoping for a better hatch this time.[​IMG]

2. chickedydoodaa

chickedydoodaa Taking a break

Feb 8, 2009
    Philadelphia PA
    I hope that this time you get a bigger hatch

Good luck![​IMG]

3. tank1970

Feb 28, 2009
    Trinity, Tx.
    Thank you. I was worried sick trying to figure out what I did. I thought originally that I had messed it up by putting the thermometer on the screen instead of on the eggs for the last three days. I was relieved, but still upset for the chicks.

4. Huny

Huny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Sunny Southern Arizona
    I read on here that those thermometer/hydrometer things have accurate humidity but are horribly off for themometer readings. I wouldn't trust it. My hovabater came with a mercury thermometer and I would trust that before I would trust that digital one. Just a thought.

5. Huny

Huny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Sunny Southern Arizona
    Also if they are fully formed but didn't hatch doesn't that have something to do with the humidity being too low?Someone chime in here!

6. tank1970

Feb 28, 2009
    Trinity, Tx.
    I took the mercury one that came with the bator and put it in ice water and it was 5 degrees high. There were three and each one was different. I checked the digital and it was closer than the other. These are cheap ones with the numbers on a piece of paper and the thermometer glued on top of that. two of them were glued to the wrong spot.

7. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    I have had some great luck with the LG's my first hatch this year i had 2 out of 41 about 10 pipped and nothing more. my second run went very well i got 26 chicks 25 made it 2 piped did not make it out on day 23 4 were not fertil and the others had some forming but did not make it through. every thing concidered im happy with this hatch.
    [​IMG]

8. clayhillcouple

clayhillcouple Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2009
    Middleburg Florida
    I feel for you-Tomorrow is day 21 for our 1st batch. I bought a digital thermometer and in the instructions it said that it could take up to 30 minutes to get a proper reading.. I made a 2nd home made bator for last 3 days from threads that I read here. Hoping for the best!!!!!

9. tank1970

Feb 28, 2009
    Trinity, Tx.
    I did have the humidity up. I was just off on the temp.

10. streemers

streemers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    that just is yucky for so many to not make it. wishing you all the best:love:jumpy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by