Horrible feathers on rescued ladies

PurpleCArTires

Crowing
Sep 23, 2020
Taneytown
Good morning! I have 4 "rescued" ladies that i got from a meat farm approx 8 months ago. 2 ladies barely lay, but "Charlotte" and "Ponytail" lay almost everyday. I have been watching their feathering and noticed the two that rairly lay have gone through two molts now. And they are feathering nicely. Ponytail molted when i first got her and charlotte hasnt molted at all.

Charlotte and Ponytail both have what I can only call "stripped" wing feathers and missing feathers on their backs. Charlottes back has been bald for almost 3 months now and is very raw looking. I have been putting some Vaseline on her back so it doesnt get chapped.

I read through other posts and saw alot of people with chickens missing feathers on their backs attribute it to the rooster, but I wasnt so sure since its not all the ladies and Charlotte in particular has an extreamly raw and rough back (it looks like a hard scar). I also checked them over for mites/bugs and didnt see a single one.

Any idea what I can do for her? Thanks!
Charlotte is pic 1 and Ponytail is pic 2

Attachments

• 20210101_100026.jpg
    20210101_100026.jpg
    534.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210101_100033.jpg
    20210101_100033.jpg
    1,004.7 KB · Views: 6
I read through other posts and saw alot of people with chickens missing feathers on their backs attribute it to the rooster, but I wasnt so sure since its not all the ladies and Charlotte in particular has an extreamly raw and rough back (it looks like a hard scar). I also checked them over for mites/bugs and didnt see a single one.

Any idea what I can do for her? Thanks!

I don't have any roosters, but I have read that roosters can have their favorite hen(s) and those hens almost always look worse for the attention. You might consider putting your rooster in a separate pen for a while and see if that helps your ladies.

Back
Top Bottom