1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Horrible hatchery experience (Ideal Poultry) is this normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by TubbyChicken, May 8, 2011.

1. TubbyChicken

TubbyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    I ordered 14 chicks last month and knew they would arrive the week before last. I oddly received three consecutive days worth of email notification beginning Tuesday evening ("Your order was shipped, should arrive within 72 hours"). Three days in a row I was notified that my order was "just" shipped. I called the PO and asked them to call me as soon as the package arrived, left two phone numbers and called every morning to check...just in case.

On Saturday morning I called the PO and was told that the order had arrived but the chicks were ALL dead on arrival so no one bothered to call and they were en route to my house because they were still obligated to deliver. I immediately called Ideal and notified them. I was told there was a "problem" with the shipping and that many others reported dead chicks from the same delivery. She proposed that the chicks may have stayed on a closed truck too long. Logically, I know I didn't kill those chicks, but I felt responsible. Had I just used local sources, the shipping ordeal wouldn't have claimed the lives of the chicks I ordered.

She said they would ship out the following week. I waited. On Wed. I received the notification (this time it came only twice on the same day which made more sense). On Saturday morning at 3:30 am I received the call about my chicks, I went to the PO when they opened (sometime around 9 am) and picked up the box of chicks. There were 10 males added to my order of 14 chicks (for warmth). 2 of the 3 Russian Orloff pullets I ordered were dead on arrival, one Golden Campine pullet (of the 3 I ordered) was smashed and dead on arrival. Once I brought them home and immediately put them in the warm brooder I noticed 2 (of the 5) Salmon Faverolle pullets and the last Russian Orloff I ordered were abnormally sleepy and drunk acting. I separated them, put them under the light in a warm box, checked the temperature, offered them some sugar water, ensured they had access to mash. They died within an hour or so. 6

I am so overwhelmingly frustrated! I've had chickens for almost 4 years now! We brood chicks every year and though we've had some issues (spraddle leg, pasty butt, unexpected loss)...it all seems way more reasonable than this! First, all of my chicks died, now nearly half of my order (6 of the 14) are dead within 24 hours of arriving. Of course, the "extras" are all fat and happy and stomping around (trampling and pecking on dead bodies). Is this normal? What can I do? Even if they do replace them (I was so looking forward to the Russian Orloffs and now they are completely dead...I only ordered the Golden Campines as "filler" but I promised them to a friend who I now have to disappoint.

This is NOT what I expected when I paid 40 dollars for 14 chicks! I now have 8 chicks and a BUNCH of roosters that I can't keep. I understand adding males for warmth but I'm afraid the tightly packed 24 chicks killed the fragile half of my bunch by trampling them. Is this normal?! I totally regret ordering chicks now. I am so disappointed. I can't imagine doing this again.

I did split an order with another BYC member a couple of years ago. I drove about an hour to meet her and my chicks were totally healthy, all arrived in excellent condition and to my knowledge she had no losses either. This was in late fall (so much colder temps than what we are experiencing now) and the chicks took much longer to get to my brooder. She did order through a different hatchery though. I hope this is not standard for Ideal.

2. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    I have heard this alot with Ideal, I just think I woldnt order from that facility, I know alot of poeple order and have no problems with dead, I recently ordered from conneticut I live in AZ all 15 were alive and are great 7 weeks later, it is the hatchery..It was freexing temps wHere I live when I got them also..

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    There have been alot of problems this year with shipping chicks. One problem is that gas is so expensive that USPS is not moving till that truck in completely FULL. Even if the chicks have to set an extra 8-12 hours in the closed truck, they wait till enough mail comes in to finish filling the truck. It is not the employees fault. They have to follow the orders they are getting from above.

Matt

4. TubbyChicken

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    kera! :

I have heard this alot with Ideal, I just think I woldnt order from that facility, I know alot of poeple order and have no problems with dead, I recently ordered from conneticut I live in AZ all 15 were alive and are great 7 weeks later, it is the hatchery..It was freexing temps wHere I live when I got them also..

Were yours packed with "extras"? I am partially convinced that part of the problem was the extras stomping and trampling my chicks. My brooder is huge and well equipped, I've done this many times so I'm shocked with how bad this experience was. I assumed (perhaps ignorantly) that they could ship 14 chicks safely in May. (I live in far eastern Ky so our temps are way WAY over freezing. Even with the "cool" weather it's HOT)​

5. TubbyChicken

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    Quote:I understand that it can happen...I was sad and upset that I lost the entire first order...but now to lose nearly half of my entire order the second time is very upsetting! I wish I had known this was an issue with this particular hatchery (or all hatcheries). I would have spent my 40 dollars way differently!

6. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    I understand your frustration. In all honestly issues can and do arise with every hatchery. I have ordered from Ideal, Metzer, and McMurray for years. Yes, I have had dead chicks from everyone. In my case I will tell them no added chicks, put hay with them. I have ordered mine in December. I'm convinced the issue is with the delivery service as well. The post office or UPS is saving on cost so they will wait until their trucks are full. I'm one of those people that stays on the post office UPS hinny when I have chick or other birds comning in the mail. They call me daily until they arive at the post office. I'm truly sorry you lost your babies.

7. team edward

team edward Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    Quote:[​IMG] What? That is not right, if there are live birds on the truck, they need to get it moving. Maybe hatcheries need thier own shipping trucks

8. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I had a similar problem when I ordered, also from Ideal. The first shipment, (assorted bantams) half the chicks died within 48 hours, Ideal said they probably got too cold in shipping and were overly stressed, bantams are a little more delicate than others. So they reshipped, and put 10 New Hampshire cockerels in with my bantams. The chunky big-footed New Hampshires trampled the itty bitty bantams in shipping, so we lost a good number of the second box full too. None of those male chicks died, of course. [​IMG]

9. New2TheCoop

New2TheCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Central, LA
    I ordered 9 chicks from ideal and received them on Feb 17th of this year. They added in 14 dark brahma roosters (one turned out to be a hen). They arrived fine & are now 3 months old and I didn't have one loss. I am only one state away though. Matt makes a good point about the gas prices, luckily I got mine before they went through the roof. I hope everything works out for you.

10. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Unfortunately, I think that most of the problem is with the post office. They have gotten so automated that no one is available to give special handling to live animals.

I suspect that the post office would rather not handle birds at all, so they don't put any effort into shipping them carefully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by