Horrible horrible. Help Help Ducks

RebelsHope

Songster
12 Years
Jul 27, 2007
wisconsin
I had a broody duck. She went broody on the 24th of May. Everything was going well as far as I could tell until last night. I came come late and shut the ducks up. I could not tell that the broody was not there. This was after dark and and she is a black duck. This morning when I let everyone out she was gone. There was no sign of anything. No feathers or bodies or anything. A drake and another hen were in the same cage that the broody hen should have been in.

I don't know what to do with these eggs. I am not sure if they are any good any more. I don't have a brooder set up, in fact I don't even have a brooder, but I can run to TSC and get one.

Is there any hope? Should I just throw these eggs out. I hate to think of developing lil ducks in there and just pitching them.

Quote:
Awww if you and I were closer,I'd ask you for them(I'd pay you of course).I have been searching for fertile duck eggs for ages. {{{sigh}}}. Unfortunately I live in N.S.,Canada.

Definately get a bator if you really want these ducklings. I hatched out 6 out of 8 goslings and those eggs went for about 10 to 12 hours without being incubated. Duck eggs will do the same thing. Candle and see if you see movement or veins. Then get them in the bator. If you have a heating pad I would put a towel around the eggs and then set them on the pad on low until you get a bator and it regulated. IT IS NOT TO LATE!!! Jenn

I just went and collected the eggs. Some were stuck to the bottom of the nest. I didn't collect those, I just tossed them. One broke and it was not developed at all.

The others I brought in, I candled some of them and I did not see anything. So I am still going to get a 'bator, but I don't know if I will put these eggs in.

I should have been able to see something right? One side of the egg was a little darker, but I saw no veins or anything else.

Last edited:
Sounds like they didnt develope or only partially. There would have been many veins all through one side. The dark blob would have been the baby that was developing and then it died. Good luck with the bator. Jenn

Back
Top Bottom