1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Horrible infection

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beetandsteet, May 30, 2016.

1. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    Hi all. I have an emergency here. Yesterday, I noticed some swelling on the earlobe of my production red hen. I observed closer and it was a pus-filled abcess the size of a grape, with a large scab on it. I assume she scratched her earlobe (the gnats are so bad around here), opened the skin, and it got infected. It was full of cheesy material and blood clots. I cut the scab off and drained the abcess. I put veterycin on the wound and bandaged it. Today when I opened the bandage to change it, the abcess had filled again and was nearly the size of a golf ball--the nastiest thing I've ever seen. It stunk too. I opened it again, pulled huge quantities of nasty material out, and packed it full of antibiotic ointment. I bandaged it again. I crushed half a 500 mg tablet of penicillin and gave it to her in food. She is separated from the flock. Any further advice for me? Please help! Thanks!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Keep her inside away from flies which can cause fly strike by laying maggot larvae in the wound.

3. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    She is inside a box in the house. Is there anything else I should give her? She is pretty alert considering all she has been through.
    You're an "eggspert" :)--did I do the right thing for her? I read online 250 mg penicillin for 5 days. Is that correct? How often should I change the bandage? Sorry for all the questions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by