Horrible Leg Infection/Injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bessetti, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Bessetti

Bessetti Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2014
    Vermont
    Please help guys! Two days ago I noticed that my chicken's spiral leg band had moved up past her hock and impaled her leg all the way through. We kept a very close eye on bands while the girls were growing but when they were full grown we switched to occasionally checking that they are in place when we care for them. Hers was completely hidden by feathers, so for weeks we thought she was our girl who didn't have a band. Anywho, it was HORRIBLY infected.

At the time I removed it and we put antibiotic on it (all medical supplies froze during a storm) and covered it. I was super late to a meeting so rushed out. I stayed up all night looking up what to do to no avail. There were so many conflicting opinions. I ended up flushing out the wound with peroxide and warm water and attempting to pack it with antibiotic. Left it uncovered. It was so deep I couldn't get to the infection. Still infected that night.

That night we gave her leg an Epsom salt and salt bath to draw out the infection (per what someone said) and doused her leg in vetericyn and blue kote. Lose dose of pain relief in her water.

Today it is STILL hot to the touch and swollen. The infection is just so deep in there and I can't get to it. What do I do?

Here is a pic of her leg on day 2 [​IMG]

2. Bessetti

Bessetti Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2014
    Vermont

3. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    it doesnt look oozy, so i would say so far so good

i would soak in epsom salts again and wrap with neosporin

Good Job!!