Horrible news

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PharmGirl, Feb 8, 2013.

1. PharmGirl

PharmGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Weston, WV
    Unfortunately my girls and roo passed away last Sunday. I had a heat light in their coop the temps here have been in the single digits. It somehow got pulled from the wall and started a fire in the floor of my coop and they all passed. I am SOOOOO heart broken and haven't been able to go to the coop since. I will hopefully be able to get over this and get another batch of chicks, it is just very hard right now, I miss them so much. This is the only place I feel comfortable venting and people won't judge me because they are "just chickens". Hope everyone's chicks are well and keep a close eye on them and let them know you love 'em! [​IMG]
    Stephanie heart broken in WV

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry for your loss. The coop didn't burn down?

3. PharmGirl

May 8, 2012
    Weston, WV
    No, from the outside you can't even tell anything happened. I think they passed from smoke and maybe just the straw and pine shavings were on fire. Like I said I haven't been out there yet to check the inside of the coop yet. I was at work my poor husband had to get them. Thanks for your kind words.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sorry for your loss, it was accidental. I wish you the best.

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I am so sorry too for your tragic loss....

Thinking of you.....

Suzie
    [​IMG]

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    How horrible! You were simply trying to help your birds-like all of us would do-and ended up doing more harm. So very sorry.

7. PharmGirl

May 8, 2012
    Weston, WV
    Yeah, the light was in there for probably 3 weeks and had done fine. I even checked it that morning before going to work when I gave them warm water and some scratch for the day. I really miss them. Who would have thought chickens would be such great pets!!! They would have been a year in April.

8. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    At least the coop didn't burn down. You can rebuild your flock, you have the technology. You can make them better than before.

9. redfishingirl

redfishingirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2012
    That's so heartbreaking!! I'm so sorry. I almost burned down my coop once when I (stupidly) had a heat lamp warming the floor of the coop on a really cold night. It burnt a hole in the floor of the nesting box, and if we hadn't gotten up early that morning, they would have all been toast. I don't heat my chickens anymore. They have feathers and each other and they will do just fine.

10. PharmGirl

May 8, 2012
    Weston, WV
    Yeah, I will either permanately mount a light on the upper rafter pointed toward the roost or none at all. It was jsut so cold and I was worried about their combs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by