Horrible nightmare, I'm so upset!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amynbrent, Mar 16, 2012.

1. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    I have been incubating for awhile now and can not believe the success I have had. My friend wanted me to hatch some for her, I put 30 in the bater and for the first time used a turner. At lock down I took them off it and candled them, so many did not look good, but I had about 10 that looked good. Today was day 28 and couldnt let them go any further, I figured they were dead. I took them out and candled them. Out of the 10 I had three that looked like there was life. I started to hatch them myself and they are alive!!! They look weak and there is alot of wetness in there. They are not moving alot but you can see them breathing. I put them back in the incubator with lots of humiditity. I'm hoping they hatch themselves, I dont know what else to do. I have never hatched any myself.
    I know now I will never use an egg turner. This has been a mess, thru the development process these eggs did not look like the ones I just lay in the bater and turn myself.

I hope these babies make it.

2. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    What kind of eggs were they? Don't turkey and duck take 28 days? I don't know enough about hatching, I've only done it once and am halfway through my second time, but as long as your temp was right the turner shouldn't make them take longer. Maybe a pro will be along to help more... Are you sure they were chicken eggs?

3. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    Two are D'uccle and the other a Orphington.

4. Zootopia

Zootopia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2011
    Abilene, Texas
    How were your temps? sounds like they were low, this will commonly make them late, but the later often means weak chicks.

5. curranchickens

curranchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2011
    Fredericskburg, VA
    Oh no! How horrible! I am so sorry. I started my first ever hatch today... Now you have scared me.

6. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    What did the egg turner do WRONG??? Maybe bad eggs!!!! OR??? It don't forget unless its broke. Heck I can't remember if I took my pills much less turned my eggs!!! Kind of like a TV without a remote controller...cva34

7. curranchickens

curranchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2011
    Fredericskburg, VA
    How are they doing? Did any of them make it?

8. Brickman House

Brickman House Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Obviously an automatic egg turner isn't going to cause late hatches, or wet and weak chicks. Sounds much more like a low temperature problem in the incubator. I understand the disappointment in a bad hatch, but it isn't going to help you to look towards the wrong source of the problem.

Sorry you had a bad hatch-- best wishes to you for getting things sorted out for the next one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by