Horrible scene, just need to vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by weesy68, Nov 14, 2010.

1. weesy68

weesy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Stratford CT
    My eight year old daughter just came running into the house screaming that our ten week old puppy had hurt one of the chickens (they free range in my suburban yard, someone let the dog out and forgot to keep an eye on him). I came outside to find my oldest chicken completely skinned from the face to her shoulders, but still alive. I told my husband to get the axe, I tried to cut her head off to finish her off, didn't hit her right the first time and she actually got up and ran off screaming. She looked me right in the eye. I had to pin her down and finish the job, the worst darn thing I've ever had to do. The puppy is a lab/terrier mix and only weighs ten pounds, I'd never have expected he could have done this.
    I'm still in shock, I'm a country girl, but these birds were pets, so this is just painful.

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    [​IMG]

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I am so sorry. That's awful. [​IMG]

4. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    OMG! Im so sorry! I wouldnt have the heart to cull. You did the right thing, though. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Hottchick

Hottchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    I feel your pain. Your story is worse than mine. At least mine was dead. My dog got hold of one of mine this afternoon and killed her. I'm crying with you. So sorry.

6. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    So sorry for u both. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] So sorry.. ugh..

8. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    OMG!!! that sounds Horrifying. I am so sorry you had to go through this. [​IMG]

9. serendipityfarm

serendipityfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    So sorry for your losses. I have had my dog injure 1 chicken and kill another. It's heartbreaking. [​IMG]

PS- My dog is completely reformed and hardly pays attention to the chickens anymore, just so you know. It is possible with training to still have them coexist.
    Good Luck!

10. hvl25

hvl25 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by