1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Horrible screaching tonight

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Crippledturkey, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Crippledturkey

Crippledturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Poplar Bluff, Mo
    I was listening to music rather loud just a half hour ago. Between songs in the quiet between the two, I hear a loud "Screaching" along with sounds of roosters crowing and a turkey gobbling, and blood curdling food talk. You all know the sound of a chicken who finds some good food to let the flock know, that sound times ten and doubled. So I rush out and my uncle also rushes out from his home, and we have flashlights and the screaching stops, so I go into the coop to do a head count. 37 hens check, 5 roosters, nope we have 4 now. So I want to know, my turkeys will attack my doggy who comes into the coup with me, The coop has 1 foot of tin siding burried into the foundation to keep snakes and burrowing animals at bay, the covered run is secured by rough substrate, and their yard is open with a 5' total enclosed and open to the sky and over 3k square feet I cannot say something got into the coup as my dog and the turkeys would not allow it. I am down a roo, BUT what could be screaching in the treeline behing us, and be chomping on a missing rooster while getting past turkeys?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Owl?

3. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm also thinking owl....

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  4. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    When the raccoons fight around here they can sound pretty evil. They screech very loud.

5. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:x3

6. Crippledturkey

Aug 26, 2011
    Poplar Bluff, Mo
    The rooster was found, unhurt. whatever it was not a chicken, whole thing was just weird. Probably an owl like ya all said. Thanks for your replies, take it easy.

7. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Do you have fox in your area? They have a horible scream. Sounds like someone being murdered and yes it is Very loud.

8. Crippledturkey

Aug 26, 2011
    Poplar Bluff, Mo
    There is a lot of farm land around so I would not be suprised if we had foxes, but I have not seen one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by