1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Horrible Silkie Shipped Egg Experience!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rlhagan56, May 13, 2016.

1. rlhagan56

rlhagan56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2012
    Out West
    I have had such wonderful sellers on here that I have purchased eggs from to ship. Unfortunately on May 3rd I purchased Splash Silkie hatching eggs from Tucson to here in northern Nevada, off a Silkie breeder facebook page. She showed photos of her Splash Silkies, photos of how she ships, and assured me when I asked that she had eggs ready to ship, 12+. I asked her to put *Hatching Eggs* on the box, she agreed and told me she had stickers to put all over the box and my phone number.

2 days later I asked for the tracking number of the shipment. "Oh, I thought I would gather the eggs next weekend to ship you fresh eggs." Okay, I understand and thank you. Next Monday evening, I messaged again, where is the tracking number? "Oh I had to drive my mother all over town and couldn't make it to the post office. Will ship fresh tomorrow, Tuesday morning." Okay. Tuesday evening again I asked for a tracking number. "Oh I missed getting to the post office by 3 minutes, I'll ship tomorrow." So I told her about good customer service, and remained calm and polite.

Finally after 10 days I got the box. No Hatching Eggs written on the box, but there was a little sticker near the bottom. The eggs were sealed in bubble wrap and tape, in an egg carton, with a thin and small trash bag on one side and a little crinkled paper on the other. Lots of empty space and not packaged like her pictures. No extras, and 1 egg broken, I doubt the rest will hatch at all.

Moral - beware who you buy shipped eggs from! Especially from Tucson! I'm not even angry, I know shipping eggs is a risk and we have no control over USPS, but this upset me to the point of crying. Why would anyone be so careless and callous? I hope there is a lesson to give to others in all of this.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

That is so unfortunate and disappointing. Eggs getting damaged during shipping due to poor handling is one thing; but that type of poor service and packing is something else entirely.

3. KrisandLuna

KrisandLuna Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016
    Thats a bummer to hear. I am on lockdown with shipped eggs, when i got them, majority of air cells were detached and 3 broken. It was the posts problem, luckily the shipper gave me back my shipping charges as the package was 3 days late.

That lady sounds rude....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by