Horrible storm last night - poor little bird

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gritsar, Jan 21, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I was prepared for storms last night, but I didn't realize how bad they would get.
    One minute it was just thundering a little bit, the next the wind picked up and hail, nickel and golf ball sized, started slamming the house and the lightning was awesome.
    DH's custom truck was under the carport, but both jeeps were out in the yard. [​IMG] I wanted to go move the jeeps under the carport and would have had it only been the hail; but I don't mess with lightning.
    It finally slacked off enough that I could go out and move the jeeps - closing the proverbial barn door after the horses got out.
    I carried a big flashlight with me and used it to check my jeep's windshield for damage before moving it. With the flashlight shining something flew right in front of my face. Poor little bird hovered right in front of the light's beam for a few seconds before flying into a nearby tree. Poor thing looked so confused. DH says I would have been confused too, if I had been happily roosting when I started getting plinked on the head by hail. The big tractor is not under cover and it hailed hard enough that it turned the headlight switch on. All I could see was two lights shining through the darkness.
    The kitchen flooded. Old farmhouse drives me crazy sometimes. [​IMG]
    I kept waiting for the tornados, but thankfully there were none.
    The storm has now moved east. Hope all you eastern BYCers stay safe. [​IMG]

2. NGT ANGL

NGT ANGL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Locust Grove, VA
    I'm glad to hear you are OK gritsar. Gosh but we have had some wild weather this year. If the wooliebears could only talk.......

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I hope you don't see any of these storms. I love storms, but not when they get this severe.
    Right now it's 60 degrees. There's something seriously wrong with that in mid-January.
    Do the wooliebears have zigzag stripes this year?

4. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    the woolies up here in nwmo had almost no stripe to them this year, but zig zags would have been fitting. sorry your kitchen flooded!

5. NGT ANGL

NGT ANGL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Locust Grove, VA
    Quote:I hope you don't see any of these storms. I love storms, but not when they get this severe.
    Right now it's 60 degrees. There's something seriously wrong with that in mid-January.
    Do the wooliebears have zigzag stripes this year?

Was out washing my truck this past Monday - 60+ degrees......got home to sleet and freezing rain last night.....woke to 40 degrees this morning.....Think you're right gritsar!! I think the woolies had zigzag stripes with a couple of plaid ones thrown in for good measure! I love the storms also and love to see the changing of the seasons but this year's weather has just been too much. With all of the wet weather - snow, rain, sleet....I shoulda got ducks instead of chickens!!

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Some work is going to have to be done around here before spring and tornado season.
    DH said I should have taken Jax and gone to the storm cellar last night. He was at work. I'm not going anywhere near that storm cellar until it's cleaned out. It hasn't been cleaned in 10 years.
    Jax and I (and the cats, DH wasn't worried about them [​IMG] ) will take our chances in a closet. No telling what's living in that cellar. [​IMG]

7. pacetruckguy

pacetruckguy The West Coast Chicken Whisperer

Dec 8, 2009
    Petaluma,CA
    I know no body feels sorry for people in California when it comes to weather, but it has rained 6 inches in three days here. Everyone keeps saying we need it, and that may be so, but not all at once. [​IMG]

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks. It was a mess. I finally got finished mopping all the water up and had the floor all nice and clean, then the dog and DH came in with muddy feet. [​IMG]

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I feel for you. That's how it is around here. Things will get dangerously dry and then it will rain for days on end and everything floods.

10. pacetruckguy

pacetruckguy The West Coast Chicken Whisperer

Dec 8, 2009
    Petaluma,CA
    Thanks, Yeah there has been a lot of flooding. Not too bad yet, because we are getting small breaks between the downpours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by