Horrible thing hanging out of my hen's rear!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katie4, Oct 1, 2011.

1. katie4

katie4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    We discovered this evening one of our laying hens, a 7 month old Buff Orpington hen, has a horrid, red mass haging out her back end. It is dripping moisture and poop. The size of the mass is a little bigger than a golf ball and is bright red. Her feathers around her vent and belly are fouled with the moisture and poop. The is a slight foul odor but is not a poop odor.

Her crop is empty so she hasn't been eating but she gets around with the other hens. The other hens have not been pecking at her, thankfully. It does not appear to be an injury from a predator, etc., as there is no external tears, blood, scabbing, etc. elsewhere on her body. She's not fluffed up and droopy like she's sickly.

I don't know if she has layed an egg lately. All 8 of my laying hens share 2 nesting boxes (by choice--they have 9 to choose from) and I'm not home in the daytime to watch the hens lay eggs. That said, we haven't had any "double yolkers" or exceptionally large eggs for over a week.

I have the poor hen isolated in a large dog crate. The floor is cardboard lined and I didn't put any bedding her crate so as not to contaminate or damage whatever is hanging out her back end. She has water but no feed.

What do you think it is? If it is a prolapse how do I treat it? What if there's an egg stuck in there inside that horrid mass?

Thank you for your help. I haven't had any serious injury or health issues in the short time I've had chickens.

2. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    when this happened to one of our hens, I put on a glove, put olive oil on the fingers of the glove and GENTLY urged the prolapsed cloaca to retract by pushing it gently toward the hen. And it easily retracted on it's own and never prolapsed again.

3. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    oh poor thing. I don't have any advice but I hope that someone has some advice for you and that she recovers.

4. Ravenseye

Ravenseye Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2008
    Pepperell, MA
    Happened to my RIR last year. As mentioned, I gently pushed it back in and she was fine. She did pass on this year (naturally) so give it a try.

5. chic-a-deee

chic-a-deee Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi. I dont know much either about chooks, ducks etc. But as a nurse, I'd make sure that the prolapsed area
    be washed with a hose until all contaminates are gone, poop can be the worst thing for infection. Then get
    some boiled COOLED water & wash over it without touching any contaminated feathers.
    Put on an acrylic glove & then gently ease it back in.
    If you cant bring yourself to do that, consult your vet.

Hope all goes well for your chickeeee. ^^ [​IMG]

6. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I just had a Silkie hen prolapse. We brought her in, set her on the counter with her back end over the side of the sink, took an empty Dawn bottle with a tiny amount of soap, mixed with warm water and lavaged/rinsed away the dirty stuff. Dried her up a tad and applied Vaseline to the area and prolapsed piece. Pushed it back in, put her in a dark room in a small kennel with no food, just water.

Her prolapsed popped out several times, even just from pooping. So, we put a little bit of Preparation H on it and that seemed to help. She had layed a rubber egg and kept her prolapse in. She is now out with the other flock, it's been a week. Now I'm just waiting for the results of a hard egg passed. But in all she is doing great!

I hope all goes well for you and just keep trying, don't give up on her, it will take several tries. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by