Horrible Tragedy {new pics}

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chilling in muscadine, Apr 11, 2009.

1. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Yesterday afternoon we had a horrific thing happen. [​IMG] There had been storm warnings but the weather here was quite calm. [​IMG] My So was outside and I had looked out the window right at the same time the thing happened. [​IMG] A tree that measured 15' in diamater fell and it landed on 4 of my dog fences. [​IMG] It missed some of my coops by mere inches. It missed the house by about 20'. Luckly so far nothing was killed but with the debree of the tree its too dence to see underneath. I'm hoping none of my free range birds were killed. [​IMG] I have so many chickens thats its hard to tell. [​IMG] All four dogs made it but there houses look like a penny you might place under a train wheel to get squised.

[​IMG]

The incident blacked the area out for many miles. [​IMG] Power was eventually restored to customers, except for us. [​IMG] There was no way to restore power until more of the tree was removed. The remaining limbs were two high in the air for new lines to be run. This is where the problem comes in. The contractor that does the trim work for the power company said it was the homeowners respronsibility but the power company said it was the contractors responsibility so basically we didn't have power for 24 hours. [​IMG]{that sucks}

It turns out the power company won there argument [​IMG] but with devasting results. I have many baby chicks in seperate brooders. What I did was build a hot fire in my wood heater and kept it going during he night. The bad news is I had a bator full of eggs and they were due to hatch on the 24th. 24 hours with no heat going to them. [​IMG] I can assure you that I totally P. O.ed both contractor and the power co. well until after 1:00am this past morning. [​IMG]

With me being sick for over three years now I didn't need it. Its sad because the tree that fell offered much needed shade for us and our animals.

IDK what I will have to do now. All I have done is cry thus far. Here is another pic but I have alot more if anyone wants to see them.{dial up}

[​IMG]

As you can see the tree got my ride. Isn't life grand!!!!!!!!!!!

But hey we are alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited to say that the pics don't do any justce to the devastition[sp}

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    thats just awful!! [​IMG] i'm so sorry! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Smile hon,..it could have been worse. Thank God you and yours were spared. The other is just material things. It will all be okay in time. Keep your chin up and count your blessings! [​IMG]

4. chickenbuddy

chickenbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    [​IMG]

5. silentrunning

silentrunning Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Venice, Florida
    All I can say is WOW! I'm so sorry for you. I can't imagine what that must have sounded like when it hit the ground.

Doug

6. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    Praying for you and your community.

Glad you and your family are safe.

7. chilling in muscadine

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Quote:Thanks I still can not beleive my dogs were not killed. I mean the limbs coming off this tree are as big or bigger than trees themselves. They are huge. I think god was looking after me, he knows with my health I can not take anything else.

8. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    oh I am so sorry! I hope everything is getting better now! [​IMG] It is wonderful that no one was hurt!

9. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    I agree count your blessings.
    thats only Stuff.

10. chilling in muscadine

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Quote:It was loud and what was so bad was I happened to be looking out the window when it happened, just a few feet away. My SO was outside not far from the window but I couldn't see him from the window but I knew he was in the area. After the tree fell I immediately speed dialed him on the cell phone and he didn't answer. I started to panik but what was happening was at the same time he was coming in the back door of the house so that is why he didn't answer the call. He gave me a quick case of heart failure there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by