1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Horrible Week - lost Betty, Simon got hurt

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sweetshoplady, Apr 18, 2008.

1. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Lost my littlest chick to a raccoon - got into the pen and ate her through the openings of the dog crate she was in.

This is her and Hedy Lamarr
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She was feathering out beautifully and just the cutest little girl. I had hoped to show these to show how well she was doing.

Then, the next day, I tried switching the horses and the goats pastures. Everyone was unhappy with the new sleeping arrangements and Simon jumped the 4' electric fence and tore up his left front leg. I went out in the morning and found him in with the goats. Simon is doing better. The vet came out and stitched him up. Fortunately it was only a bad cut. He didn't tear up any tendons. Just going to take a long time to heal up.

So now everyone is back where they started.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Sorry about your loss but also glad to hear the horse will recover.

We moved the goats once. Never did that again. They sure taught us a lesson.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

So sorry about the little girl. [​IMG]

4. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry about your loss! FYI My aunt lives in Venice, she had a cougar in her back yard last week! She lives off of Jacaranda Blvd...

5. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry you are having such a rough time right now.

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    So sorry about the sweet little one - sad......
    JJ

7. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    I have had trouble with raccoons and coyotes last year. However, this year they seem to be much more aggressive for some reason. Meaning they are really after the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by