Horribly loud hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by blinkk, Aug 22, 2013.

1. blinkk

blinkk Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2013
    Our hens used to be lovely and made the most appealing noises. They still do- but in the past 3-4 month one hen has gotten horribly loud. It's not a normal cluck/bwak sound. It's a very loud, strange sound. It's like she's yelling.

My fiancee thinks she's got a mental problem (that's how bad it is!) He's been on farms before and claims he's never heard a chicken get this loud. He's talking about giving her the axe which kind of kills me inside.

What can I try to quiet this bird down? Is it normal for hens to be yelling all waking hours of the day? I looked her over and she's physically healthy as far as I can tell.

I want to patch up the fence and give them more room to wander. I hope that will help.

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Is she the flock leader? Your hen could be taking the role of a rooster if there are no roosters in your flock.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  3. blinkk

blinkk Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2013
    She's second in command, although the first and second have been fighting a lot. Maybe she recently got bumped up to first without me realizing it?

Interesting that they'll take the role of rooster. I didn't know they did that.

4. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Maybe she's just that really loud obnoxious lady in public events! :) Some girls are just a lot more loud and will complain and yell and talk about everything and other hens are really quiet.

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    It could be she is simply an obnoxious personality...I had one like that and re-homed it to a farm.

However, I think you've probably hit on an answer there....you may have them overly crowded and bored.

If my hens are noisy, I go look to see what is going on, and invariably something is. I've learned to listen to them and correct whatever it is...the water bucket overturned, the gate wasn't opened and they are tired of being penned up. I've learned to anticipate what upsets them and have adapted so that I keep their lives pretty happy and they reward me by being quiet content hens.

However, some days...they are simply noisy and I never figure it out. That's being a chicken.

Lady of McCamley

6. nan4848

nan4848 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Des Moines, IA
    I have a really loud, obnoxious BO. My husband wants to axe her. She is top hen, and if she can find something to jump up on for a platform, she literally screams. A rooster would be less annoying. Nothing we've tried seems to stop her. She just knows she's being picked on. I have a dog kennel in my husband's work shop that I stick her in while I'm at work of if she's particularly noisy, so as not to have a nasty neighbor call the city on us.

I hate to get rid of her. She's an excellent layer and a really sweet hen, but the noise is stressful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by