Horrifyingly near disaster!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jeffross1968, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    So last night, here in western NC, around 5pm, my wife and I decided to put the chickens in the coop because the power had gone out, and a storm was brewing. It was looking nasty out. Our coop is right next to the house, somewhat nestled under the side stair case, and next to our very expensive rubbermaid shed, that we purchased only a couple months ago. So as we ganged up on the chickens and tried to get them in the coop (it was supposed to storm pretty late, and I didn't want them getting caught outside), the rain began. My wife gave up first and ran inside. I followed about 10 seconds later. As I closed the door behind us, we got his with a tornado, or microburst, or something (haven't seen the weather or news yet), and a big tree snapped about half way up, and came crashing down where we stood only seconds before....crushing my coop/run, and the shed. My garden was nearly mowed over, every plant having been pushed over and laid on the ground. Our kids were thrown under objects that would hopefully save them if another one of our many trees came crashing down. We could not check on the chickens, and feared the worst. When things had calmed down a half hour later, it was time to head out in the continuing rain, and asses the situation. To our surprise, the 2 that did not make it in were safe under the front porch. Our barred rock hen had somehow made it at the last second, and joined the others in the only completely untouched part of the coop, under the side stairs. All had survived.

Following is what we saw of our yard when we got out. To keep it on topic, I'm guessing they will work through their eggs already in production, and then stop from stress for a while? Pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't believe they all survived...

2. obaan1

obaan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Great Lakes State
    I'm so glad that you and your family survived. Hope you have a chain saw.

3. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    [​IMG] OMG!!! Thank goodness you and your wife are safe!! Amazing that your flock survived as well! We are in North Central NC and saw the radar and thought we were going to get hit too...but it skirted us to the west - PHEW!! It stinks that you have a lot of work ahead of you to clean it all up and put it back together, but you are LUCKY!!

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yeah - by looking at that mess, it may not seem like you're lucky, but you guys sure were! Glad everyone, animals included, are okay. [​IMG]

5. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Wow! You are very lucky!!! Someone was watching over you that is for sure!!! [​IMG] I am glad everyone ended up being OK!!!

6. Rammy

Rammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  7. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    HOLY SMOKES! How scary. Im glad you are all well.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Wow, glad that you and yours are OK. You have a protector!

9. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    What a close call! Glad you and the chickens are OK.

10. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Wow, near thing that. Glad there was no loss of life to anyone, including your chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by