HORROR in the Hen House today. :(((( (Long Story/Vent/Cry)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by akcskye, Jun 15, 2007.

1. akcskye

akcskye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    My husband and I let our flock free range in our backyard daily.

They have a coop and run to go to at night.

3 hens have gone broody and we've had 4 hatches, with a 5th happening soon.

Today we went and got our kids from summer camp, and when I got home, I went out back to make sure the baby chicks were doing well with their moms and found 3 of my neighbor's (well, a house is between us) weenie dogs that are always getting out and running free were in my back yard barking at me.

Then, I notice RIR feathers and BO feathers scattered everywhere, and I start freaking.

I wanted to KILL those dogs, I tried...I tried to get them before they slid through the hole the dug while we were gone!

Well, I find Marti first...I thought she was dead...no...alive...BARELY.

The kids come running to me screeching that Billy (the BO Roo) is dead along the side of the yard.

Then, I hear my hubby..."no, he's not dead, he's breathing, but barely".

He sure LOOKED dead.

Well, I get on the horn to animal control while holding Marti in my arms, the victim of a DEEP puncture wound on her back, gasping for air.

Animal control lectures me that being my chickens are free ranging *IN MY OWN YARD* that it is against the city policy to allow chickens in the city limits WITHOUT BEING COOPED, and so that the best they can do is go to the dog's owner and tell her to keep better track on her animals, and tell her what they did.

Nice, huh?

They come out and assess the goings on, and of course they see that there is blood and feathers and mayhem everywhere.

I knew whose dogs they were so they went over there to tell her, and the woman about fell apart she was SO sick that her dogs were capable of doing such a horrible thing.

You could see Billy got his licks on the "ring leader", though. It was shaking and had cuts all over it, and I told them, any problems with the cuts, I'm NOT paying for them, understand that now. She, of course, agreed (in the presence of animal control).

Anyway, long story short, Marti died a short time later, and once it started raining on Billy, he sprang up, though is limping on his left leg and very weak, and he's missing LOTS of feathers, and many are mangled and dirty.

There is a "drip" of "gelled blood" on his butt, but we can't determine if that is internal blood coming out (that's the only blood back there), or if it's tears from where his beautiful tail feathers used to be.

He has blood all over his face that I will wash off tomorrow...I really thought he wouldn't make it, but now seems to be getting stronger.

He literally sacrificed himself to save his flock...Marti, though a hen, was a fighter, too, so I don't know if she was trying to help or was the first one to be attacked.

The 3 broodies and my other non-broody Australorp were all fine in the hen house along with the 4 new babies.

All 4 babies have been born in the last 2 days and are all hens (my feed store has an old timer who taught me a long time ago how to sex chicks from hatch). No roos yet.

So, here I sit in disbelief...crying for my loss, thankful for the blessings...and encouraging you...if you have BYC's and CAN have a ROO, get one...he may mean the difference between the life and death of your hens...he fought off 3 murdering Dachsunds and won.

Thanks for the shoulder.
    Kristi

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Kristi,
    I am SO sorry.[​IMG]

3. missusduray

missusduray Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    OH your poor family and your poor brave birds! My thoughts and prayers are with you. I would make the lady pay for your killed birds and any vet bills that your roo may incur. That is the least that she can do. I am sorry for your loss.
    [​IMG] Kristyne

4. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Oh my gosh, how very sad. I hope he heals and survives the attack. [​IMG]
    Hang in there, and we are here for you... :aww

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Your Roo paid the ultimate price. What a brave animal. Absolutely Amazing!!!

Sorry for your loss and frustration. Just think of those safe little babies under
    the broody's butt.

P.S. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall if you had caught those dogs.
    There's only one thing scarier than a dad protecting his kids: a Mom protecting
    her babies. I wonder if the dogs owners knows how lucky she was.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  6. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    How AWFUL!!!! :thun I am so sorry for your loss and I sure hope you never have to deal with those dogs again. I don't know if I could have handled it as gracefully as you did! I sure do hope and pray Billy makes it! What a brave boy he is!!

Ellen

7. ChloesChicky

ChloesChicky Out Of The Brooder

So sorry for your loss and the horrible day! I hope your neighbor keeps her little terrors (dogs) under control in the future. [​IMG]

8. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    That's terrible! I am shocked at animal control's lecturing you against free-ranging within the confines of your yard. :thun
    Hugs to Billy, I hope he recovers quickly.
    Stephanie

9. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    You have my deepest sympathy! It happended to me yesterday morning too. 6 were murdered, 3 roos/3 pullets 2 are still MIA. My sisters dog was the culprit. I still have 4 injured. So out of 25 babes we now have a count of 17. My sis didn't think her dog did it, yet she came out of her house to see him carrying a chicken by it's neck. How blind is she? My thoughts are with you and your flock! What a terrible waste!! I say ROAST THE WEINERS![​IMG]

10. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:Dachshunds were bred to be hunters. They were bred to be long and narrow to be able to dig into animal dens and root them out. You can't blame the dogs. Regardless of whether your animals were legal or not, the dogs caused damaged to your property and I would have the neighbor pay for damages.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by