Horse Baby-Vs-Now Pictures Thread

Pics

Josh L.

Songster
Oct 2, 2017
Golden Valley, Arizona
I thought this would be a fun little thing, and I didn't see a thread when I looked (though I may have missed it!), but this one is dedicated to BABY and CURRENT pictures of our equine friends!

Here's my little man, Crete, when he lived at the boarding facility he was born at...
20200611_182432.jpg

20200527_160909.jpg

Versus now! Where he lives at my own place when I finally bought my little micro ranch. He's going to be 8 months old on the 15th. He's a big baby now, and still as sweet as can be, and mama's in way better shape now with all the free choice feed and exercise! (Mama is in the VERY back, look for the white stockings)

20210113_152121.jpg

Here's a bonus of the little orphan filly I helped care for. A friend and I were up for essentially a few days straight feeding her every few hours and watching her to make sure her mama didn't attack her. Classic foal rejection issue, thus the comfy clothes that make zero sense for barn-wear haha.

20200405_141343.jpg

When I get the old OLD photos of my 4yo mare as a 5 month old filly off my computer for uploading, I'll put those up too!

Wow, is it normal for horse colts to change in color so drastically? Never personally raised them so just curious. He's beautiful.
Thank you!

All gray horses are born darker, and get lighter every time they shed. Horses that start lighter colors, like chestnut, gray very quickly, while those born black take the longest.

And foal coats can be deceptive. I'd have to hunt up a foal picture of my black mare - like all blacks, she was born a strange, mousy, brownish color. Her own foal, who was born black as coal, is actually a gray - all jet black foals gray out. It's a dead giveaway. With other colors, you have to look for lighter "spectacles" - that's where the very first gray hairs come in.
edited to add; if you look at Gandalf's baby pic, you can see the gray spectacles around his eyes

Sundance, born a light buckskin, darkened to a smoky buckskin, which is a sign she also carries the dun gene. Dun horses can vary a LOT the first few years - it can seem like they're a different color every season!

Bays and chestnuts manes and tails will darken with age, but are born pretty much the same color they'll stay, and paints and most appys are born with their markings. But varnish appys are like duns, they can change a lot the first couple of years.

Roans are born with faint roaning, and change with the seasons all their lives, darker in summer and lighter in winter.

Thank you!

All gray horses are born darker, and get lighter every time they shed. Horses that start lighter colors, like chestnut, gray very quickly, while those born black take the longest.

And foal coats can be deceptive. I'd have to hunt up a foal picture of my black mare - like all blacks, she was born a strange, mousy, brownish color. Her own foal, who was born black as coal, is actually a gray - all jet black foals gray out. It's a dead giveaway. With other colors, you have to look for lighter "spectacles" - that's where the very first gray hairs come in.
edited to add; if you look at Gandalf's baby pic, you can see the gray spectacles around his eyes

Sundance, born a light buckskin, darkened to a smoky buckskin, which is a sign she also carries the dun gene. Dun horses can vary a LOT the first few years - it can seem like they're a different color every season!

Bays and chestnuts manes and tails will darken with age, but are born pretty much the same color they'll stay, and paints and most appys are born with their markings. But varnish appys are like duns, they can change a lot the first couple of years.

Roans are born with faint roaning, and change with the seasons all their lives, darker in summer and lighter in winter.
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain! I love learning new things about animals I haven't had a chance to work with much.

Back
Top Bottom