1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Horse breeder with a small flock of much loved hens.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by klausy, Sep 25, 2015.

1. klausy

klausy New Egg

Sep 25, 2015
    I am a Warmblood sport horse breeder that has a small flock. I joined because sometimes I have a question and need help with my girls. I have one accidental very pretty rooster. Unfortunately he is from the same batch as my hens.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

From same batch, do you mean they are siblings?

No harm in breeding siblings as long as the line doesn't contain any huge genetic defaults, and the resutling generations aren't continously bred back to the parents. Most modern breeds and varieties were created using some sort of line breeding, since it's the most effective way to to concentrate desired characteristics.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Roosters however can handle 10 hens each. If you don't have that many - he will tend to overbreed the few you do have, and mainly whatever ones aren't good at escaping or hiding. This can cause damaged and balding hens. Unless you need fertile eggs or hatching or selling, You really don't need a rooster. That is your choice of course, but some folks (like me) didn't know hens will continue to lay without a rooster.

There are a few horse threads on BYC. You may want to start one for "warm bloods." Many horse folks on BYC, though they are mostly scattered through other threads, some of the greeters too are horse people.

Would love to see photos of your "much loved hens," what breeds are they.?

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us.

6. CLSranch

CLSranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    NE OK
    Howdy. I'm also new and have horses. AQHA. If you do have enough hens roosters are good at keeping them collected and watching out for predators. They will give a call to the hens to hide from birds of prey or the neighbors dog.

7. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flocK! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. klausy

klausy New Egg

Sep 25, 2015
    I breed Warmblood SportHorses. More specifically horses used for sport. Mainly registered German Oldenburg Verband. Just two or three a yr if that many.

My rooster and hens are supposed to be Ameraucana. However I purchased at southern states and they peeps were al supposed to be hens too. They do all lay shades of blue to blue green eggs. The rooster was a surprise. He is named pterodactyl because when he was losing his baby feathers he certainly looked like one. He was twice the size of the hens. It actually never really occurred to me he might be a rooster. I said to a friend of mine what kind cross do you think that one is. She just laughed and said uhmmm that funny looking hen is actually an Ameraucana rooster. He is quite beautiful. Fairly kind. He did chase my soon to be ex, but only because he ran I think. It didn't help I was standing there doubled over with laughter, watching my adorable small rooster chase around a guy who was Army ranger grad and army officer around my farm. Ex is a great guy, just not farm material.

I just went in southern states several years ago and picked out what looked cute in what they said were Ameraucanaa. Of course those had every egg colour in the book so I knew they were EE hens. Not that I cared. They were still so much fun. I did get a couple that look kind of correct and had a lovely dark blue egg so I didn't much care. Last year I bought six but one of the fox kits I raised snuck back around and stole three before I sorted out the problem. So this year I got brave and picked out 16. Of course a couple friends just needed to have four and another four. At any rate I am left with nine hens and pterodactyl. They are free range near my house days but in a very secure house at night. One of the peeps I got in early April disappeared about 9 days ago now. She suddenly reappeared and I then located her broodiness sitting on some 25 eggs. I moved her to a dog (large size) kennel with hay for bedding. I waited until night and moved her and the eggs. She still tried to bite me and growled. It was fairly cute.

I am assuming all the birds came from one supplier and I doubt they worried much about bloodlines. My hens and rooster are quite pretty with muffs and even some with not much in the way of tail feathers.i think both rooster and hen have puffy faces. I am worried this is a problem but it is what it is. I didn't really think a hen would want to hatch chicks going into winter. I would like to have her waited until spring so I could try to buy her some purebred Araucana eggs but she didn't ask me before deciding to do this. Can u imagine she didn't even consult me. Silly girl.
    So now I will be the one having the heart attack when it gets cold or ice or snow.

At any rate I think that answers the questions out there.

Thank you for being so welcoming. And did being willing to step up to coach when I don't know enough to help them.

9. klausy

klausy New Egg

Sep 25, 2015
    PS. I would love to have some hens who consistently lay very blue eggs. If someone knows of a breed that I could get that would lay more blue less greenish eggs could u let me know.

I didn't want to start there as I did not want to lose some purebred amazing chickens that I spent a small fortune on sorting out how to keep safe and healthy.

10. klausy

klausy New Egg

Sep 25, 2015
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Couple of hens and my pterodactyl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by