Horse cart driving: what is a hold back strap?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by TajMahalChickens, May 11, 2010.

1. TajMahalChickens

TajMahalChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Question: what is a hold back strap and where do I get one?

I have only been doing simple arena driving, but now I am going to a driving clinic with my horse and they say that I need hold back straps. I think that they are straps that you attach from the breeching to the cart.

In that case, can you just use a leather strap or do you need a special "hold back strap"?

Thanks!

2. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    Hold back straps attach to the breeching to help stop the cart. They wrap around the shafts and through the footman loops. With a breeching and holdback straps the horse stops the cart with his butt and the pressure is removed from the saddle in the stop. here's a link to a diagram of the different harness parts. http://mdda.info/ref-library/parts-of-a-harness

3. TajMahalChickens

Mar 22, 2010
    Thanks! I read some of the text underneath, and it sounds like the hold back straps just need to wrap around the shafts three times and then buckle together. In that case, I should be able to just use long leather straps, right??

Thanks for your help & info.

4. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    Should work. Happy driving!

Georgia

5. babyblue

babyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    also often thimbles, part of a fine harness set up only used in some high end showing are not approprate. the thimbles look like little cups that go over the edges of the cart shafts and are atached to the saddle. they are only used for extreamly lightweight show carts only in a show ring. they are NOT strong enough to stop a heavy cart or even a light on on even the slightest hill. when I was in 4h the use of thimbles instead of proper breeching would disqualify you instantly.

6. TajMahalChickens

Mar 22, 2010
    Good to know - I googled thimbles and, just like you said, they seem to only be used for showing. I currently have a 3 1/2" wide breeching on him, so I hope that will be enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by