Horse chow?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ohhhdear, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    I was given a free coupon for a 50# bag of horse feed. Should I not look the gift horse in the mouth and just feed it to my chickens as a supplement, or treats? (I don't have a horse... yet). The ingredients don't look all that different from chicken chow, actually.

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Should be perfectly fine either in place of scratch if it's mostly grains or some use alfalfa based pellets as a supplement in winter when there are limited greens available. Just be careful with any type of sweet feed since too much molasses can have bad effects on poultry. It's sometimes used as a laxative for them.

3. denim deb

denim deb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Or, depending on what kind of horse feed it is, you can send the coupon to me. [​IMG][​IMG]

4. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    I feed my goats horse/foal feed and my chickens are always getting in the goat pen to eat when I let them out to free range...no problems!

5. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    If it's on sale for a good price, I sometimes buy some extra livestock "sweet feed" and give it to the chickens. They like it. I regularly feed it to my milk goats, and if the chickens are around at milking time, the goats are always having to fight birds out of their feed pans.

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Haha so funny I came on here to post the exact same question! The only difference I saw from rabbit food was slightly lower protein and more fat. Plus it has a max copper listed on the label which the rabbit feed doesn't.

So.... I will be giving it to the chickens for a treat, but is it ok for the rabbits too?

Here is the link so everyone can get their free bag of horse food! They will send you that coupon at first, but quarterly will send out coupons based on what types of animals you list that you own.
    http://www.purinamills.com/rewards/register/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by