1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Horse Cookies??

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Wildsky, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Anyone have any recipes for horse cookies?

I've always wanted to make my own, my horse actually LOVES peppermint cookies!

I thought making my own, I could add stuff as needed - for example garlic in spring and summer to keep the bugs off her. Extra Vit E and perhaps C in winter....

2. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I have a couple of recipies around here somehwere but I can't fine them! I will look better tomorrow and see if I can dig them up. I remember using sweet feed as one of the ingredients. You could also try googling it and see if anything comes up for you.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Thanks Standard..... I've looked a bit on line - I am looking for something TOTALLY easy - less cooking and mixing the better - even something I can ball up in my hand would be awesome!

4. kizza07

kizza07 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2007
    oooh sounds great, my horses would love it too! I would have to make a few to satisfy 5 horses though!! lol

5. ajcress

ajcress Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    Masontown, WV
    I have 4 that I would love to find some easy to prepare treats for. if someone knows were to find some or would be willing to share let me know

6. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    I always thought that horse cookies were what came from the south end of a horse. [​IMG]

7. nadams4

nadams4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    Ohio
    I would love to have a recipe too!

8. Morgaine

Morgaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    My mom would mix sweet feed, bran, molasses and no sugar added apple sauce together untill a loose dough formed, rolled them into balls and baked. I don't remember amounts or baking time. I'll ask her if she still has the recipe though.

9. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
  10. Morgaine

Morgaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Here is the recipe

1 cup sweet feed
    2 cups bran
    1 cup flax seed
    4 lg carrots scredded
    1 cup molasses
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 cup apple sauce

Mix molasses, sugar, carrots and apple sauce in large bowl. In another bowl mix dry ingredients and slowly add to molasses mixture until it forms a thick dough.

Roll onto silver dollar size ball and line on cookie sheet, flatten slightly. Bake at 300 for about 1 hour and then flip and bake 45 min or untill they are dried out. Make sure they do not burn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by