Horse cut her leg on fence wire~ how am I doing? ~pics~ any vets/vet techs out there?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Funky Feathers, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    On Easter Sunday my horse cut her back (left) leg (under the ankle joint) open on fence wire. I have been treating it aggressively (but no stitches), and it looks to me like it is healing nicely, what do you all think? Is it healing ok, or should I get the vet out here? We are wayyy out in the sticks and that would be very expensive. I was a vet tech for 10 years (I have an AA Degree in Vet Tech). Here is what I have done: 1 tab Bute twice daily the first 4 days to reduce the joint swelling (it is gone now), hydrotherapy/soaking the foot/joint in hot water w/epsom salts. dry the leg, apply Bactroban (Mupirocin) antibiotic ointment, cover w/gauze pads, wrap w/vetwrap, then wrap the leg w/felt leg wrap, and injection of Penicillin 10cc IM daily. I kept her in her stall 24/7 until yesterday. She was limping badly on 4/8 but yesterday she ran around with no pain at all. Today she took it easy (she just went nuts yesterday from being cooped up). Here are the pics in order:
    4/8
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    note the swollen joint
    [​IMG]
    4/9
    [​IMG]
    4/11
    [​IMG]
    4/13
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    4/15
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AMA Chick

AMA Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Glasgow KY
    Looks good to me, you are doing all the thing I would do! Just keep a close eye for maggots;)

3. Horsefly

Horsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    Its looking pretty good but you may want a vet to check it out and possibly stitch it. My neighbors horse got cut in a similar spot and it healed up fine but the scar tissue that built up made the horse minorly lame if she is pushed any which was bad because the horse used to be a jumper. Just because of it's location right on the joint there I would want a vet to look at it and make sure it wasn't scarring to bad so she doesn't end up with a limp.

4. AMA Chick

AMA Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Glasgow KY
    I think it has been too long since it happened to stitch it, but I'm not positive about that.
    I do think it would have been better to be stitched though...

Maybe you could call the vet and describe it and what's been done and they can tell you how to proceed. Good luck!

5. Funky Feathers

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    My vet said to dry it out with lime or blue kote, as it looks like "proud flesh" is forming. So I did that for tonight. You can see it in these pics from last night & tonight. It is the brainy-looking stuff in the middle of the wound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    any heat/fever? Oozing? If not, then it is healing on its own. Proud flesh will occur here because stitches were not put on at the time of the accident.

Just keep it clean, air dry it once in a while. It will scab over.

7. aprille218

aprille218 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    northern MN
    I'd use some Polyotic powder on it. It's a tetracycline powder commonly used in calves and pig's water. I love using this stuff dry on the cuts of my large animals. They heal up faster and there is less scarring. Here's a link + a substitute http://www.animalhealthusa.com/posopo10g.html

8. Funky Feathers

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    No heat/fever/oozing. The Penicillin is doing its job. Also the lime and now the Alu-Shield spray are working wonders! It is closing up & scabbing over. :)

9. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Boy in that one picture the wound looks so deep...[​IMG] I work at a vet's office and they actually put raw Manuka honey on this cat's abcess and I had just read about the amazing healing properties of Manuka honey! I don't know if I would change what you are doing now since it's working and healing up though. I hope your mare makes a full recovery. [​IMG]

10. Funky Feathers

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Update:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by