Horse emergency, super heavy bleeding

HeatherLynn

Crowing
12 Years
May 11, 2009
Kentucky, Cecilia
Not sure if this is the right place. We have a older horse, unsure of age. He was sorta dumped on us because the people figured we would take care of him. He has had hoof problems from lack of care for several years before we got him. Thats the back ground.

Another horse that was dumped on us is a little rear end and started a fight this morning. The victim's hoof is all torn up and blood is squirting very very fast. Vet is refusing to come out and we are waiting on the farrier to call back. Cannot seem to get any help. Any advice. This horse is not tame. It has had a life of abuse and is very skittish.

Quote:
If the blood is squirting, you need to apply pressure on the wound. Have one person hold the horse and the other hold pressure on the injured area until the bleeding slows/stops.

I don't understand why a vet would not come out.

Like someone stated, the hoof needs some pressure to stop the bleeding. If you can fold up a washcloth, and duct tape it on the hoof, it would help.

I am on my own but going to attempt to put pressure on it now. The farrier bless his soul has dropped everything and is rushing out now.

The vet moved from rural to in city limits, apparently they have ceased to be a farm vet. No clue. Will look for a new vet when things are under control.

Use a gauze pad, Maxi pad or baby diaper to wrap the foot and then cover it with vet wrap or an ace bandage as tight as you can get it from above the wound down.

Last edited:
I'd start calling every vet in your area to find one that will come out. That's a serious injury & the horse may have to be sedated to fully examine the injury itself, not to mention you said it's skittish anyway.

Can you tell if the blood is coming from the actual hoof area or above the hoof?

Diaper, maxipads and duct tape.

We had a horse 'given' to us years ago with 'issues' he would be fine for days and then just turn into a maniac, dangerous. Our vet refused to treat him, found out the horse had completely flipped over when another vet had been examining him. Be very careful. skittish can turn ugly fast. Fight or flight.
They did agree to put him down for us. Sad, but we were not going to pass on something that could really hurt someone.

I'm in Louisville, not too far from you. I have a vet here in town that I use for my horses. PM me if you still haven't gotten things under control and I'll give you his name/number. Not sure how far south he goes, but it's worth a shot.

Sorry its been so long. I tried to bandage and he tried to bite. Then the farrier came and he tried a cloth diaper and a vet wrap but the bleeding didn't stop. Then my brother finally comes and he sends me out for more vet wrap. We found something called blood stop powder while we were grabbing vet wraps. Anywho my brother powed that stuff on and you could already see the blood flow slow down, not stop but slow. Then he wrapped it tight. Had us watch for swelling. Took me an hour to get the horse up near the gate but he was there and waiting for the vet. The farrier before he left called the vet himself and told him to get himself out here, I guess they are friends. Still took a couple hours but he came. Ended up the horse tore an artery. It had to be cut and he ended up needing to be sedated and stitched. He is now in a mini pen we set up to keep him separate from the other horses. The one who got him in that shape actually tried to attack him while he was down. The mean one will be moved back to my sisters place. Its her horse and I just cannot cope with any more injuries.

The vet said its severe enough that it will take several months to heal and its not a sure thing. Thats a bit up from the 50/50 we were given that he would have to be put down. So for now its shots for the next 4 days and somehow I have to wrap and dress his leg each day. I am not confident with horses so this will be interesting. I didn't pass out or get trampled today though and the bleeding is stopped so I think for now we are ok.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom