1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Horse Folks: Tack Question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Razadia, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    This post is sitting in limbo over on BYH. It's been awaiting moderation for hours, so I thought I'd move it over here.

Yesterday I was going through on of my sheds and found a bridle that I thought was gone. The last time it was used was several years ago on a mare I was supposed to buy, but didn't get the chance before she was hauled off. Think about it for a second. It's been in a dusty shed with no cleaning or care in all that time. Hanging out with my old, decrepit, synthetic saddle that belongs in the trash. Cleaning isn't going to be a problem. The problem is going to be conditioning this thing so I can use it. I know for a fact it fits my horse and it isn't bad looking. The leather isn't cracked (thankfully), but I still have a problem.

I REALLY don't want to go dump cash on leather conditioner that I may or may not be comfortable putting near my horse's hair and skin. So, what are some good and hopefully cheap alternatives to commercial leather conditioners. If I still have to go and buy a conditioner I will, but I'd like to find something cheaper and most importantly, safe for my horse. If I do have to go buy a conditioner, what's a good brand?

Well, what ya got?

As an aside, what would you do with a snaffle bit you can't use? It's meant for a standard sized horse and my boy doesn't meet that. I have another snaffle I use for him that he likes.

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm not 100% sure (and haven't researched it) but an idea might be to look into coconut oil. You can buy it at most warehouse type stores for very cheap.

I always used baseball glove conditioning oil. Not sure how cheap it was compared to saddle oil, but I don't remember it being bad and I don't remember needing too much. I felt comfortable using it on my baseball glove which touched my skin and I never had issues.

3. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Does your horse have sensitive skin or some sort of allergy? My go to is the Effax products. They are specifically made for horse equipment and therefore, safe for your horse. As for the bit not in use, just keep it, you may need it for another horse someday. [​IMG]

4. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Yeah, coconut oil has been suggested to me. I'm thinking about getting some today if the conditioner is too much.

He doesn't, thankfully. I'll see if I can find at the feed store. I just found out yesterday that the tack store I used to go to closed in 2012 and there isn't one close enough for me to go to. As for the bit, I think I will keep it. It's not like it's taking up space. [​IMG] I have 2 other bits I don't use, both curb, that are just hanging out.

5. vr1967

vr1967 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2016
    Liberty, MS
    I use Picards Antique Leather Dressing on all my old saddles. I still ride one that dates to the 1870s that has been passed down thru the family.

6. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I'll have to look for that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by