Horse got into BOSS...should I worry?**UPDATE**

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Knock Kneed Hen, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I rarely let the horse and pony graze in the front yard but decided to let them today. I had set a 40lb. bag of BOSS in front of the house and didn't even think of the horses being interested in it. Came out to put some laundry in & sure enough my horse pulled the bag off the bench, had it all dumped out and was chewing a big mouth full. I put the horses away and scooped up what I could off the ground. It's hard to tell how much he ate but I'd say around 5-10 lbs.
    Is this something that could cause him to colic??

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  2. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I would keep an eye on him, also he may have runny poo for a couple of days. Might help to feed him a Bran Mash in the morning to help push things through. I would not feed regular feed in the morning, a good amount of coarse hay and he should be ok.

3. Knock Kneed Hen

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Quote:Thank you for your quick response. I will do as you suggested!

4. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    What's BOSS?

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    BOSS - Black Oiled Sunflower Seeds

I used to feed my horses BOSS. 1/2 cup twice a day with their grain and minerals. They had really great shiny coats and strong barefeet.

I also feed it to my goats, chickens, and house bunny. They all love it and it's a great source of omega 3's.

OP - had you been feeding this horse BOSS?

6. saxet

saxet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    TX
    I too would feed my horse BOSS, but not 10 lbs at a time. [​IMG] If you are worried about the mere consumption of the seed, don't. It's actually good for them. If it is the amount that freaks you out, I would have to admit that I have no clue if it is potentially dangerous or not.

7. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    i dont really know much about this stuff but from what ive read here, it sounds like he should be ok if you do what someone above suggested... hopefully it works out, good luck! [​IMG] let us know how it goes/what happens/if their ok... thanks [​IMG]

8. Knock Kneed Hen

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    ~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

I used to feed my horses BOSS. 1/2 cup twice a day with their grain and minerals. They had really great shiny coats and strong barefeet.

I also feed it to my goats, chickens, and house bunny. They all love it and it's a great source of omega 3's.

No, I hadn't....I only just bought it because I have my first flock of chickens and wanted to give them a treat. I asked for the biggest bag thinking it would be 20 lbs. .[​IMG] I saw the bag and figured it would last me the year. Now I realize I didn't get enough! [​IMG] So far the horse is doing fine. Thanks for your help. My horses are barefoot so maybe I should consider adding this to their diet.​

9. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    ~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

Oh, thanks for letting me know! [​IMG] I learn something knew every day. [​IMG]

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    It's mainly the carbohydrates in grain that causes the problems. This doesn't exist with BOSS. It is much easier to digest. I completely replaced my horses grain with BOSS. I did have an older horse that was also a hard keeper eating entire large feed scoops of it every day over the winter. With any quick diet change even if it's just a different type of hay you do want to watch for diarrhea or signs of colic but other than that I doubt getting in to a bag of BOSS will do them any harm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by