Horse kiss?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Duckchick2011, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Hey guys,

Today I got a wild hair and visited an old horse friend I hadn't spent time with in a long time. He's a really old fella, the first horse I had ever ridden in my life, and seriously starting to really look and feel his years lately. The more I look at him the more I feel he's not going to be with me much longer, so today I headed down the long road to his owners property devoted some time to just brushing him and scratching his old itchy spots(a kind of attention I don't imagine he's gotten in years). In return he did something he's never done before. Usually Shyanne will just lick my hands and arms and nibble at my pants leg(his normal way of showing affection) but this time just as I was about to leave he pressed his big ole nose in my face and just breathed me in. He didn't lick and he didn't nip(the first thing that came into my mind) he stood there with his lips touching my face, breathing in my scent with his eye's half closed. I had the distinct impression that he was giving me a horse kiss...I've never had a horse do that before and I'm just wondering, what exactly was going through his big ol' head?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  2. Zigmont

Zigmont Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    Very cute! I have two horses, and Chester gives me the blow in my face, kiss every morning. I love horses...and chickens

3. llrumsey

llrumsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    If he is as old as you say and have never done this before, he may have wanted to remember your scent. His way of saying thank you. You can bet that he remembers everything that you 2 did together!

4. urban escapee

urban escapee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Alvin, TX
    so sweet!!

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That's so sweet.....

6. sj3364

sj3364 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I volunteer at an equestrian therapy center and we had a horse who would give me kisses like that. He would press his nose to my face and just breath in and out. He retired to a beautiful horse retirement stable and I still miss him. Some horses have the sweetest personalities.

7. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Quote:Yeah, that makes sense [​IMG] ...I'm not sure why but this got me crying, I just love this old guy, he's not really my horse so I don't get to spend time with him like this very often. Honestly when I went out there I was afraid he wouldn't remember me anymore but it was just like old times again. It was lovely and peaceful and I could tell he was enjoying it as much as I was...there was something special about it all and when he did that it made it even more special in a way I can't describe...it was almost like he was saying he had missed me too [​IMG]

I guess I realized how much I didn't want that to be a goodbye...you know?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  8. Snowygirl

Snowygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Mirkwood
    Awwwww..........how sweet! [​IMG]

9. llrumsey

llrumsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Yes, I understand, it's like he wants to remember you when he goes over Rainbow Bridge. Amimals know when it is close to their time, and he might not know if he will see you again since it had been so long since he had seen you the last time.

Animals can make you feel more loved and cared for than most humans, they have more compansion, you dont see an animal screwing over someone for a better job or compete for more cars or a better house.

Just give them love and attentions and they are yours for life.

10. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    It just means your a friend to him.

Their way of showing they like you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by