Horse Loses Tooth!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ibpboo, Jun 1, 2008.

1. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    November 2007 3 1/2 years

[​IMG]

2. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    If he's just coming four years this year, it looks like a deciduous tooth that came out and the other permanent adult tooth should emerge soon. [​IMG]

3. ibpboo

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Yes, and I was lucky enough to find it too! I also found one of her molars!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  4. AngelzFyre

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    I was an equine vet tech for 20 yrs and have a big collection of horse teeth, mostly "wolf teeth" and the "caps" they shed from their back molars when they are 4-6. Occasionally we'd get to remove a troublesome tooth from an older horse and those were really interesting. A lot like trees with the growth rings.
    They are all shapes and sizes. Strange..yes! But I loved to collect the things and see how different they all formed on different breeds and ages. [​IMG]

5. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    One of our horses only has one tooth in his upper jaw, and he's only 4!

6. ibpboo

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I have a couple teeth from my first horse too. One of them encased in plastic, my dad did that for me. I have found two of this horse's teeth, but no more. I did look for them every time I noticed she was toothless.

7. AngelzFyre

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    When this horse you have now gets around 5 yrs old, feel in the back for the caps..they'll be a bit wider than the tooth itself and are the remainders of the deciduous teeth as the permanent teeth grow in. They hang on the top of the back teeth until the adult teeth are fully in and sometimes have to be removed by your vet or an equine dentist if they get too sharp or impair your horse's eating.
    Make sure you don't get bitten doing this though! We usually used a glove and held the horse's tongue out to the side at the bars so he wouldn't be able to bite while we checked the teeth.
    Have fun!

8. ibpboo

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Oh, thanks for that info! My vet does check her teeth, so he is the one that sticks his hands in her mouth! I am working with playing with her mouth, but not that far back!! [​IMG]

9. ibpboo

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Quote:Do you mean only one permanent tooth? Or does he not have any teeth but one?

10. AngelzFyre

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    LOL! I don't blame you. It's not usual for most owners to do that.
    When your vet checks her teeth tell them you're interested in keeping the caps when it comes time to remove them and get them then. MUCH safer [​IMG]. It is good to get them used to being handled around their mouths for both the vet and for putting the bit in when she's ridden. You're doing the right thing.
    Take care..was nice talking to you! Is this the horse in your avatar photo with the chicken on it's back? Sweet horse!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by