Horse lovers out there

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by RebelsHope, Aug 18, 2007.

1. RebelsHope

RebelsHope Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    I have seen several post referring to people owning horses. I have 4: 3 miniatures and 1 half darft (paint/ Perch)
    [​IMG]

Oh I see now that this should have gone under a different place, but I don't see how to delete it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  2. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I have three on the property. Two Thoroughbred's and one Morgan. One TB is my daughters and the others belong to other people. The Morgan just turned 29(retired), my daughters TB is in his 20's(retired), can't get an exact age because we can not read his tatoo, and the other TB is 13. I bet your paint.perch is cute, is that him in the picture? It usually is a nice cross. Never owned a mini and they are awfully cute!

3. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    ME!
    I have a sweet little Peruvian Paso - Rosie (my previous horse Arianna = my avatar is a percheron/quarter)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I miss Rosie, we moved from CA at the end of July - we have to put up some fencing here in NE before she can join us - At the end of September.

4. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    Rebel - are the mini's more "aggresive" than regular size horse? I need to get a friend for my Rosie, so far we've kinda decided on a Goat or two, I'd love another horse! Even a tiny one, or a little donkey!

5. bobbieguyette

bobbieguyette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    I have a mini and a hackney pony my mini has a attitude and thinks hes a full size horse compared to his 32" height. But I love him and his personality:D even the big horses hes with dont give him any crap and they are all sizes and one draft even hes is up the street in 44 acres of lots of green grass we put them out for pasture during the summer when i run out and end up feeling hay all summer they love it up there and get company stopping and giving them treats too. I had my first horse many years ago and got him a goat for company the goat ate his tail thinking it was hay! and just a couple years ago had a old mini mare and another goat we had ate her tail and starting eating all the feathers off my turkeys i had bald turkeys so just a word of caution goats can and will eat everything and dont want em eating your horses tail its not a pretty sight:(

6. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    Chelly,
    Well I didn't expect to see horses on a chicken forum... but since you are asking...
    Horses are very social herd animals and it breaks my heart to hear of 1 being alone. But I can tell you from experience that any companion animal will be welcomed by your horse even if she seems put out at first. As far as a goat goes, DO NOT adopt a Billy.... they are cute... but the smell will make you unpopular. I would suggest a pony or a llama. I got a llama for my birthday a couple years ago and he is very sweet and entertaining... also if you have wolves or coyotes in the area you will never see them again around your property.
    Good Luck finding a friend for Rosie. I would add a picture of my "herd" but I don't know how to do that on here
    [​IMG]

7. chickensinMT

chickensinMT Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2007
    Churchill MT
    We have four horses (more like I have them lol;)) 3 of them are Arabians and the other is a arb/tenn. walker cross. the arabians are Lacey, Max and Flash. The cross ( my fav) is Mysty. I would post pics put i don't have any good ones and they aren't home they are at a summer pasture:hit

8. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    Ideally we would love to get another horse, so I could ride with my hubby or kids.... I won't let Rosie be alone, I couldn't stand that myself!

Mmmmmmm I don't want a goat eating her tail! And Rosie's Mane is BEAUTIFUL - it comes way down her shoulders... I normally keep it braided, becuase it gets tangled, but I bet a goat could reach it!

Llama's make me a little nervous, I don't know why - they have a way of LOOKING at a person that just makes me feel weird.

9. RebelsHope

RebelsHope Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    I have all my minis since they they were weanlings. They are all just sweeter than most big horses. I wish my mini mare was full sized, she has the most perfect attitude. I also have a mini gelding and even a mini stallion. Believe it or not they all live together. The stallion, who is also the smallest, under 30 in, has never been able to "get together" with the mare. I have beent old it is because they have been with each other since they were born and she "just doesn't like him that way"

The horse in my pic is Abby my perchie cross. She is wonderful, big, but wonderful. She is just shy of 17hh.

I only asked about horses because it seemed like there were several posts where people mentioned it. I just wanted to know who else was a horse lover.

Rosie is beautiful.

I have a goat that goes out with the horses too. I guess I am lucky because she doe not eat anyone's tail.

10. ratlummountain

ratlummountain Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    barkhamsted, CT
    i have a mustang ~ charlie.
    he was 11 when i rescued him, now he's 17. he lives at my friends place, "lynn's retirement meca". he chills there with 6 other horses & 4 of the craziest dogs you'd ever want to meet.

as for being alone, you will become rosie's "herd". yes it's ideal to have more than one horse, but some horses are definitely ok living without another horse.

i had to keep charlie by himself for a week once, i thought for sure he'd freak out ~ being a BLM mustang and all. but he was ok with it, i think actually he prefer'd it to living with the nervous nellie he had been living with.

i work with horses every day, going to people's farms & houses. i see horses living by themselves all the time, most of them are ok with it but there are a few who really could benefit from a horsey pal. it depends on the horse i guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by