Horse manure on gardens question

CANDLE98

Songster
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Meridian Idaho
Okay so I just spread some (fresh) horse manure on our garden and flower beds and I was wondering if it would be okay so sew some seeds now or do I have to wait until the manure ages. I didn't think I could plant anything until may, but my local paper said its okay to plant some things now, well I want to plant! What do you guys think? Is it okay to sew some seeds?

I always use aged horse manure in my garden. It's a great fertilizer! And of course, with seven horses, we always have plenty!
wink.png

Agreeing with the others, "fresh" manure is not good on plants. Aged manure that is more dry and broken down is the usual.

You could always make your rows and get some dirt, fill in the rows, and then plant the seeds. By the time they sprout and grow, they manure should be old enough. Doesnt take long for manure to break down.

I'd wait at least a couple of weeks - fresh manure is too acidic and has too much heat - your seeds or new plants won't survive in fresh poo.

My hubby uses horse manure in our garden. We have had beautiful veggies using it every year. He made a soupy mix on sunday and used it to mound over the potato plants that he started a few weeks ago. I know he uses the tractor to till it in. Doesn't take long for it to dry up so you should be safe by the time the seeds sprout up.

Back
Top Bottom