1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

horse manure

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by TLWR, Sep 30, 2011.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Useful for any gardening type stuff?

Neighbor's horse seems to have decided to visit us again last night and left us a pile at the corner of the house and next to the gate by the garage. Lots o poop again. And since I'll be in the garden again tomorrow, figured I'd see if it is useful if I rake it in after I'm done planting.

2. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    You'd be better off putting it in your compost pile for using next year. Right now it is to fresh and would burn your plants. Otherwise it is a very good fertilizer. Do you neighbors know that their horse it loose?

3. babyblue2

babyblue2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    It needs to be very well composted, other wise you 1 run the risk of burning the plants and 2 there are tons of seeds in it and you will get massive amounts of weeds. When we have a bare patch we don't seed, we graB a wheelbarrow off the pile and spread the poo/shavings mixture and in a week there's grass.

4. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    It has been my experience that fresh horse manure does not burn plants. This is all we use in our garden. I would have zero qualms about putting something in a freshly mucked out pile. Manure is GREAT for your garden, especially for heavy feeding crops like corn or squash. It produces a lovely loam for root crops as well. I have a picture on my page of our harvest from 2010. Totally take advantage of it!! [​IMG]

5. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I compost mine and pull from the oldest part of the compost area each spring. My veggie garden goes NUTS. It's equal to chicken compost IMHO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by