Horse Oats? --- updated, WHOLE oats with hulls?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by GoodEgg, Sep 4, 2007.

1. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Hi all,

Been feeding the chickens oats from the grocery store, and I can get a 50# bag from the feed store for about $11, which is WAY cheaper. They are oats for horses ... just plain raw oats, they tell me.

Anyone know of any reason I wouldn't want to feed these to the chickens? I just give a few handfuls at a time, so I might not get to use ALL of them before they go bad, but I'd still save money. The ducks like them too (though I make the ducks mostly forage).

TIA for any info!

trish

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Krisrose and I feed our chickens horse oats also. Like you said...way cheaper. Don't see any damage done to the chickens as of yet! I'm no expert, but hey, chickens would be eating them if on a farm, wouldn't they?? They eat anything! [​IMG]

3. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    Well, I think it's OK--my horse loves the chicken food, and the chickens love the horse food!

4. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    I used horse oats throughout the grower phase for my pullets...at 8 weeks, I mixed 50/50 oats and starter feed and they stayed on this until laying when they were switched to a laying ration.

5. Nyna

Nyna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2007
    Western Montana
    So what kind of benefits do oats have? I sprinkled regular oat meal oats out before and they did not care for it.[​IMG]

6. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    My roo loves the horse's oats I started mixing it with some bird seed and layer pellets and a little stratch grain. Been doing that now for a couple months they seem to really like it.

7. silkielover

silkielover New Egg

Sep 4, 2007
    Horse oats are fine to feed chickens, but I wouldn't feed them to babies. We are always afraid that they'll choke on them

8. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Thanks so much, all!

I have to go by the feed store soon, so I'll pick some up. I couldn't see what the difference might be, but I thought I'd ask just in case. Thanks!

trish

9. Rebeccahorse

Rebeccahorse Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2007
    you could probable get oats cheaper if you went to a feed store or feed elevator.

10. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    If ya really wanna see them dig in the oats, soak them in water for 3 days, the birds love them, some ppl feed fermented oats, they stink to high heaven but they have probiotic benifits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by