Horse people... I am torn and undecided

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bkreugar, Jul 26, 2010.

1. bkreugar

bkreugar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    Why do decisions seem to get harder the older I am. This is not an awful thread, it should be a fun decision. So here goes, DD is now 12.5 and when she went up for horse camp this year instructor said she was sadly outgrowing the 14.1 hand pony. No big deal there, pony will just go to younger brother. So DD needs a remount. I was thinking nothing smaller than 15.2. I was also thinking look in the fall and buy eventually while taking DD up to trainers every week for jumping lessons.

DD desperatly wants to jump 2'6" something the pony could never do it was just beyond her ability. So she was going to finish out the year on said pony, but she turned up lame.SO I asked trainer if DD could ride a horse (mr brown) the week before show, and then show him.I would pay obviously.SO thats what we did and of course DD is in love.She had looked at one other and liked that one also but that would be a lease not a horse to buy.

So she shows and gets 4 second place ribbons in classes of 4-10 people and then 3,4, 5 in larger classes.She just did the 18" crossrails and the hunter hack (2').So She is in love and really wants him. I am on the fence. He is 5.Trainer has had him for 14 months.I know I originally looked at him and turned him down for myself. So trainer bought him. She has used him in lessons and camps for the last 14 months.

So Why am I on the fence??? He is 15.2 and I have had 3 close horse freinds say they beleive my DD will outgrow him (horror) and I need something bigger. He also has no experience over the bigger fences, which is ALL my DD wants to do. He also needs work on backing (which you THINK might have been fixed by now since trainer has been working with him).Lastly he has what I consider small issues like he is hard to fly spray, sometimes does not stay still whike being saddled or mounted.None are a huge issue for ME as I have arabs and we just get it done.In fact he gives US no problems with this, but would make him hard to sell if she outgrew him.

So why does it matter? I told Trainer I would like to do the same thing next month and have her ride him before the next show and show him.Trainer says, He wont be here, her partner has said if he isnt gone by the first weekend in Aug he and a few others will go to a sale while people are still looking for horses.SO I am under pressure. I can certainly afford him and he meets some of the criteria but not neccesarily all.

He is also...are you ready... 1/2 arab , 1/2 rocky mountain horse.He is a dark choclate brown that looks like a throrobred not arab at all. He walks trot, canters, but you can feel a little of the gait in his stride which is why I turned him down.He pins well, but I also SWORE to DD and myself NO arabs this time because I KNOW it holds her back for jumping and some showing. SO sounds like a definite NO right? then why do I get drug back to MAYBE?

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I am 5'1 and ride 2 horses, both are 14-14.3 hands...... so can't help you on height, LOl. Don't let pressure force you into a sale. The things you mentioned are fixable, but I would surly question the trainers ability if she has been training him for awhile and he still has these issues. Go with your gut.....

3. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I may not be much help, but I wouldn't let his height bother me. 15.2 is plenty big. DD's first horse was 15.2, she was 8. He was great, just a tad bit lazy. We sold him when her talent outgrew him. We got her a 15 hand T-bred when she was 13 who was a ball of fire. The T- bred would sail over fences the 15.2 couldn't jump with a rocket launcher. Sadly, she died in a freak pasture accident and DD quit riding. So dont hold back just because of his height.

4. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Personally I have never shown jumpers, but I've had years of cutting and reining. I feel no matter what the discipline, the bottom line is chemistry between horse and rider. If it's there, it is amazing what you can do together. If it is missing, no amount of training makes up for it.

JMO

Rusty

5. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    I agree w/PPs - 15.2 is not a disqualifier. In fact, I almost think it is a disservice to smaller horses that most people want something 16H+. Look at Theodore O'Connor!

Your daughter is of an age where the most important thing is to have a horse that she LOVES. It sounds like he still has some (mental) growing to do, but if you and her trainer can help her with that, she will learn some valuable life lessons. I have bought many a horse that did not meet all of my criteria, but I got them because I loved them to pieces b/c we CLICKED. And I have had horses that met all of my criteria that I could never quite love.

If she were a serious competitor in her 20s, my answer would be different. But, for a pre-teen girl...go for love [​IMG]

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    The height of the horse does not have so much to do with whether a taller rider fits him, as the WIDTH of the horse. A wider type horse will take up a lot of leg; a narrow horse (even if he is pretty tall!) can leave you with your feet dangling down below his elbows. So you need to consider the totality of the horse, not just height.

Note that there is only two inches of difference between a 15.2 horse and a 16 hh horse. TWO INCHES. Measure it with your fingers. Not too darn much. Especially since that's measurement at withers, not overall size of horse, and there are low-withered 15.2 horses out there that are as tall or taller, OVERALL, as high-withered 16 or 16.1 horses. Again, go with the whole picture of the horse, do not get hung up on a number.

That said, there *are* a few real minuses (from what you say) about this horse -- the fact that he has no experience over larger fences, and the fact that his breed makeup is er not normally the best for the higher divisions in hunterjumperequitation-land.

If he is truly suitable to jump 3' there is no reason why the trainer should not be willing to show him to you over a few of the higher fences, and maybe put the rails up for your daughter to try (at least over 2'9", and over a bit of an easy oxer at 2'6") so you can get a sense of what he might be like under those circumstances. If the trainer is unwilling to do this, knowing you're interested in buying, I would suggest that almost certainly means that in the trainer's estimation he is probably NOT really suited for higher fences. You are not looking for great form necessarily, just non-dangerous form and a willing attitude and for your daughter to FEEL good over a slightly bigger fence on him.

If you can do that, and you and your daughter like how it goes, then I guess it just depends on how much you want "fun horse for now" versus "likely-pretty-competetive partner for future". Which is totally a personal choice.

BTW, is your daughter in love with him BECAUSE she won all those ribbons, or would she love him as much if she had placed sixth or nothing? If it is a competetiveness thing, and she just thinks he's her ticket to lotsa trophies [​IMG], then I would be less inclined to recommend him, unless he REALLY looks good and solid when the fences go up. (Again, if the trainer is unwilling to point him at some slightly-higher fences for you, that is probably telling you something right there)

(p.s. trouble with reinback is pilot error or misfitted tack -- in the absence of pilot error or misfitted tack, reinback is quite easy to teach a horse to do well)

Best of luck, have fun,

Pat

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Well your on the fence about it because your DD WANTS HIM WANTS HIM WANTS HIM! Lol. And I agree with slackwater, at this age if your daughter does well on him and loves him that's important. If he has minor issues that is a good learning experience for her to get him to improve on those things. I rode a thoroughbred cross all thru my teenage years that was lacking in a few areas but we just totally clicked and I had an outstanding time on that horse and that's what really matters imho.

8. bkreugar

bkreugar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Asheboro NC
    Pat He is NOT a stocky horse.He is a LEGGY 15.2. I have pictures on my phone and I have emailed said pics to my horsey friends but don;t know how I would post those here from a phone.

Trainer has had another kid ride him over 2'3" but I don;t know If he has ever been jumped over anything bigger.

As to her loving him BECAUSE of the ribbons that is definitly a part of it.The pony she has is a morab who is steady and great at gymkhana/games stuff or trails or cowboying in the back yard.Pony is a real good, smart mare, but she does not have the confirmation to carry herself to win in a flat class and she has ALWAYS balked at jumping more than 18".

Morab was what she stepped to AFTER her little 13.3. full arab mare became unsound/retired.That mare won or placed in ALLL the classes she ever went in. So I just had her focus on the morabs strengths and downplayed the whole hunter thing.Now she REALLY wants to jump and high, she never placed great on morab except for eq and trail classes, so I feel she needs something more competitiive because she has done the good horse but not competitive horse.

I want this to b the LAST horse I buy for her!!! So it needs to work on several levels.If she wants bigger/better when she is older it is on HER. So I don;t want her to outgrow this one also!!

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I can't believe I'm the one suggesting this, but have you asked the owner/trainer if you could lease said horse? Your daughter is probably infatuated at the moment. Ribbons help, but she may indeed love the horse. Why not lease and see how it works out? During that time, train him in higher jumps? If it can't be done, let your daughter decide what she wants to do. Does she want to stay in the lower jumps or does she want to move on to taller things, including a bigger/better horse?

From what you say she needs, I would not purchase this horse for her. You know what she needs, she knows what she wants.

10. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Have you explained to her that if you buy her this horse that she won't be able to do the fences she has been wanting to? And that this will be the last horse you buy... so if she becomes a bit tall for it then so be it (if that's the case)? I would let her decide and maybe have her make a pros and cons list to help her with the decision making process.

To me, the thing to do would be to find another (bigger) horse that she loves that will allow her to do the jumps, etc. Even though she loves the horse now she has not been around it for a long period of time and she will forget it quickly once she has a new horse to love, imho.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by