Horse people... I am torn and undecided

We used to have a 14.2 gelding that could jump five and a half feet when he was 25. I know he was exceptional. He was also slightly gaited, and had a lot of not perfect manners, but he was FUN!!!

However, if you are looking for taller horses, get a taller horse. There certainly are about a billion to choose from right now. It bits HARD to wade through hours of Dreamhorse, Horsetrader, AgDirect, EquineNow, all those sites till your eyes bleed, but I bet you can use the search function to narrow down your field pretty tight to a few good prospects. I disagree with most, and say pass on this gelding. There are better ones out there, LOTS of them. Broke ones, gentle, pretty, tall, trained, you can almost pick your color and how many socks you want even.

Quote:
this post said just about everything I was going to lol. however I can not tolerate an ill behaved young horse for children period.

I have also specifically had a purebred RMH (went unregistered because he was a little short on height) the RMH was the greatest little guy ever. sound, happy, tolerant, willing to try everything, but he was not competitive in jumping and hunter under saddle because of his gait. no matter the training or time that is something bred in that cant be trained out. sure he jumped everything you pointed him at, and did a fast pace between every fence. just could physically or mentally could not ever bring himself to canter under saddle.

I still own my QH gelding. not all QH's are short stocky little meatballs. my horse is less then 1/8 throughbred. however at 16 hands he is big, graceful and has nice bone. this guy is now 20 and still does it all in the trail or show ring, now only with my sister and I’s little children instead of us.

point also being I wouldn’t buy anything that the sale was being pushed, this horse isn’t doing higher jumping now and his genetics are not such that even gives potential to do the higher stuff. further more if your DD wants to get serious with jumping this is not the breed for her. I know there are some outstanding horses (RMH and Morgan’s and Arabs) out there that can, but its not every horse of these breeds are suitable for higher level jumping. I wouldn’t spend the money on something I can easily see myself replacing in a few months to a year.

Last edited:
Baby blue I tend to agree with you.

I personally AM an arab person, but that is me and I am not looking to show in the hunter ring.

I told DD specifically that this time NO ARAB or 1/2 arab. She doesn;t seem to hear.

He can w/t/c. I had looked at him for myself 14 months ago but passed because I could feel some gait in his walk, though I posted to his trot no problem.I didn;t like it.

DD says she can feel it at the canter some. I had told her no arabs because I know it would have to be exceptional to be a good jumper.

That breeding does put me off and if god forbid she outgrows him all his issues will make him hard for me to resell.

Still torn still leaning towards no.

FYI, I am finishing my 16'2hh KMH gelding, who was 4 years old in April, (and I have owned him since June, 2009.) He MIGHT even get a little taller. (DH is 6ft. 5 in. tall, so they are a good fit.) While building the numbers for Kentucky Mountain Horses, breeders have had to breed some Tennesseee Walker back into them. I am sure that this is where he got his height, since his breeder, who own both his sire and dam, fully expected him to stop growing at 15'2hh, and TW's have Percheron in their pedigree. JUST LIKE the full blooded TW's and the TW crosses I have owned in the last 25 years, "Sweet Cuppin Cakes" has 6 gaits:
1) walk
2) amble
3) canter
4) trot
5) pace
6) broken washing machine--yes, it is true!!
I get a trot from him when he is tired. However, when he's is happy and excited, he ambles. The amble is reliable. The trot is NOT reliable. (My 12 year old KMH mare rides the same.)
I guess you were looking for a stamp of approval from us to buy this horse. I am making a horse-buying decision today, as well. My colt's breeder just emailed me about a super-price on one of their broodmares, who is in foal to 'Cuppin Cakes' sire. They know that I want a foal, but I had not planned on dealing with this until 2013, when my hobby is expected to wind down. Plus, I am still finishing two four year olds. If you want to know what I'm going to do, you'll have to send me a PM.
big_smile.png

I agree that bad manners are a deal breaker and the backing thing could be concerning but it's hard to say without knowing more about what exactly he does. If he's currently being used as a lesson horse it's hard to imagine that it's something super serious. None of the reputable trainers I know woudl ever have a hrose in their program that poses a major safety risk. As far as the other things go, pretty much every horse has little issues and quirks that need work and if the extent of his are what is mentioned in the original post they sound very minor and easilt correctable by someone with a little experience. That being said, if you have some concerns the lease idea is a great one if the trainer is open to it. I currently lease my dressage horse and it's been a great way to get to know him to see if we work well together. It's given me chance to see if he has any soundness/health problems and to see how he does in front of a judge as well. If his owner decides to sell him I know without a doubt that I want him. It's something to think about at least.

I would honestly just tell her that you don't think this one is right for her. Quick story:

I bought ( well, daddy bought
big_smile.png
) a 4 year old TB/WB x when I was 15. it was my 'last horse' . he was very green and ran around the ring like a giraffe. he was fun on hunterpaces and trail rides. I taught him to jump using those huge orange construction barrels ( so his first fences were at least 2'3 high) basically did everything wrong i could.

well, by the time i was 18 i was still fighting the same issues i was at 15. YES i'd had trainers and lessons. basically i was stuck on a horse that would never fit my dicipline ( hunter/equitation) and wanted to be an event horse. he never jumped square and never won a hack. we won some medals but thats because they looked at me not him.

bottom line i wish my dad had said no! I loved dutch but overall it was a
he.gif
experience.

if she wants to jump those breeds don't cut it. she will constantly be out ridden by riders that may not ride better than her but have scopier horses. I'd also lean twards 16 hands for a first horse because if shes 12 1/2 she is coming into those years where she'll add an inch a year!

How about a 10-12 year old 3' horse? she can grow into it and when shes ready for college the horse will be ready to either retire to your farm or move on to another job?

I LOVE looking at horses, if you pm me your location and price my night will be spent searching for you !

I got my quarter horse tobiano when I was 3, he was 6, and I've had him for almost 10 years. He's around 15.2 hands, and is PERFECT for me. I ride English (eventing) and he CAN jump 4 foot, but I don't normally jump him that high. 3.6 in normal for him and me.
50518_dscf0062.jpg

50518_dscf0103.jpg

DH is 6'2", when he was looking for a horse everyone kept telling him he needed somethig at least 16hh.

NO ONE NEEDS A HORSE THAT IS 16HH!

Bone and structure is far more important than height. DH ended up with a 15.2hh Appaloosa and he looked just fine on him. He's even ridden his friend's Haflingers that are usually 14~ and he doesn't look ridiculous.

Look for something with 8" circumference on the cannon bones right below the knee and a short back if you're worried about height

Back
Top Bottom