Horse people I need your help!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chickerdoodle13, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I know there is a name for this strap and I can't for the life of me remember what it is. I'm thinking of getting one for my dad for Christmas. It's a strap of leather that goes around the pommel of a western saddle so you can use that strap as a grip rather than the horn. I know I've heard them called "Oh Crap Straps" but I know there is an actual name for them. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? They are great for grabbing on when a horse goes to spook. I've always thought the horn was just awkward to hold!

I'm also in the market for good gift ideas for my dad. He's big into trail riding, so if you can think of any nifty gift ideas ($30 or so) I would love it. He has a trailer with a dressing room that he uses to sleep in. Sometimes he goes camping, but usually he goes out a few times a week to some local trails.

Hmmm...a good first aid kit might be a nice idea. He doesn't have a fully equipped one. Can anyone give me a list of things that should be included in a smaller first aid kit for a trail rider? I know he has some of the more expensive items like antibacterial stuff, but not much gauze or anything. Or maybe even an emergency repair kit to keep on the saddle out on the trail. What could I include in that?

Thanks in advance!

2. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    I think most horse tack shop web sites have a list of first aid kits made up, that they sell, and the thing is, they usually list everything the first aid kits contain. I've seen trail kits there too.

If you looked at a few tack shop websites...you'd see what is in each kit, and be able to go from there. I don't know if it's always cheaper to buy the individual items...

I've heard the straps called 'grab straps', 'hail mary straps' and they get sold as 'mounting aids' sometimes too. There is also just a 'wear leather' that can be put round the horn, but isn't that for roping.

Here's a link to a blog about the safety strap.

http://www.western-saddle-guide.com/blog/tag/safety-strap/

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  3. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    For my emergency pack in my cantle bag I keep a snack or granola bar (replace as it gets flattened), a few strings of baling twine, a roll of vet wrap, a hoof pick, a compass/whistle/flint matchholder combo and a clean cloth in a ziploc bag.

Chickerdoodle, have you checked out some trail riding suppliers like www.horsesdacor.com www.longridersgear.com www.theaustralianconnection.us ?

4. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote:Ah, a night latch! That's the word I was looking for! Thanks for the article. I'm going to read more about them. I've seen a few trainers at seminars using them lately and they seem like a good addition to a saddle, especially with the rough terrain we ride over sometimes. It's nice to have something more comfortable to hold on to!

I'll also look into the already-put-together first aid kits. I know I can get most of the gauze and a few other medical supplies through my job for little to nothing. I'd just like a reference to make sure I'm not missing anything! I know extensive first aid kits can cost hundreds of dollars. Usually we just need something in case the horse gets a cut or a sting, and maybe a bit of bute. I'm thinking a portable little kit might be best so he can take it on the trail with him. Those are the times they really come in handy I think!

5. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote:Thanks for the ideas! What do you use to keep your emergency supplies in? I know I have a pommel bag, but I never really used it because it tended to get in the way. That might be something nice to do though. I could get something little that he could just hook onto his saddle. Sometimes he takes his saddle bags out with him, but not always.

6. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I have a western style cordura cantle bag. It's held onto the d-rings with leather ties. Those links I gave you, they sell a lot of cantle and pommel packs too.

7. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a crap strap on my saddle. I went with the cheaper route tho.... a leather dog collar does the trick just as good [​IMG]

8. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Hail Mary strap = heavy rolled dog collar. [​IMG]

Trail first aid bag. Things to add. Folding hoof pick, small tube first aid cream, one piece each of heavy twine (cotton) and rawhide lacing to repair broken tack. Roll vet wrap. Gauze pads (I find them at dollar stores) and your Dad will like this [​IMG], one maxi pad. (great to wrap an injury on the leg, in fact they were war bandages before they had today's use. Jack knife. Cotton lead rope, can also be used as spare reins. Small collapsible bucket, they hold about 2 qt and are canvas, good for long trail rides or to wash out injuries. If you know someone that is an EMT, I get their expired saline solutions tubes. It is just a little bigger than a lipstick tube and can be used to flush debris out of human or horse eyes or minor cuts. Electrical tape is smaller to carry than duct tape and works just as well. Aspirin. 3 or 4 cable ties. (they fix almost everything) We have one person that is a diabetic that rides with us, so I always keep something in the trail bag for emergencies. Peanut butter crackers work well and last a while. They also make a small side pommel piece that holds a beverage bottle for the rider, that is nice if you are going on long rides.

Edit, because I forgot the inexpensive rain slicker. They come in a 4x4 inch package. And lol...the cowboy nightlatch. http://www.dianeswest.com/cowboy_night_latch.htm

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  9. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Some shops have actual hail mary straps, instead of round dog collars. The actual strap has a buckle on each end (English stype) or loop through (Western style).

10. Chickerdoodle13

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Awesome guys! Thank you so much for all of the replies! I really like the emergency kit idea. He has most of those things already, but I think it would be nice to get a little attachable bag so he can keep everything in one place and take it on the trails with him. I like the idea of collapsable buckets too. That's something that would come in handy just sitting around the trailer.

The dog collar is a good idea too! What size do you guys use? I might have to look around in the pet stores. Any particular brand that is better than another? I know the strap has to be strong, and I imagine the buckle is a big part of that.

I'm thinking I will do a whole bunch of little things for Christmas. I think he will really be thrilled! I always have such a difficult time getting stuff as gifts for him!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by