Horse People look at picture please

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by farmchick897, Oct 26, 2010.

1. farmchick897

farmchick897 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Kentucky
    After seeing the post where several horse people critiqued just based on a picture. I never thought you could tell so much from a picture, but then again I'm not experienced. So, can you please tell me what you see in this horse. Don't be too harsh, she's mine. [​IMG] And what do I plan to do with her? Don't know yet, but I would like to hear opinions on what she would be good at based on conformation.
    She is a yearling.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  2. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Pretty! Is she mustang or Azteca?

3. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    She's pretty.

Her shoulder is a bit upright which means her stride won't be as long. However, it is a minor detriment. My horse has very upright shoulders and is an excellent endurance horse.

Looks good otherwise

4. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    It's a horse a pretty nicely colored one at that. Not sure what your looking for in terms of critique, unless you intend to show or breed or have some breed characteristics to judge against not a lot to say.

If I were you I would concern myself with other traits such as willingness to learn, calmness etc. etc.

She does have a fairly nice head, nice and triangular. Some horse heads can be a bit boxey hers is not

As horses go she looks very nice to me. How big is the horse.

5. farmchick897

Jun 20, 2010
    Kentucky
    Guess I should have mentioned breed. Father is pure Dutch Friesian, mother was draft cross. She has very flashy movement with natural head tuck, according to the trainer I have her with. She is learning all the basics nothing under saddle though, too young. Trainers said it is easy to forget she is just a baby when she is already over 15 hh.

6. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    She is just gorgeous. Give her time to grow. Sounds bred for Dressage to me? Parade horse for sure.

ETA: She would be just the perfect breeding for a Police Horse, people would love her and she would stand out. Or do they prefer them to blend in? Hum.

As far as confirmation, to be fair you need different photos. You need her squared up, both sides, a front shot and a rear shot. Head shot really doesn't matter, as different breeds should have different head shapes. If you want a great document, go to American Quarter Horse Association for BASIC confirmation booklet, it might be on line, but they will send you one. We use it to teach of 4-H kids, it is in our Horse Kit. It applies to all horses, then you look at breed specifics.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  7. farmchick897

Jun 20, 2010
    Kentucky
    Oh, top picture she is about 16 months
    Bottom picture she was 12 months

Just curious on what people see in a picture conformation wise because I am clueless. [​IMG]

8. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    Other then the straight shoulder (a common problem!) I can't find any serious fault in her, she's just beautiful [​IMG]

You know...I got a little extra space in my pasture [​IMG]

9. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    It really wouldn't be fair to critique her conformation in this thread 1) she's young, there are a lot of faults they can and do outgrow 2) those are not suitable conformation pictures. The horse needs to be standing square, on a flat, hard surface and the picture need to be taken directly from the side at shoulder level.

10. farmchick897

Jun 20, 2010
    Kentucky
    Ah.. well.. I don't know how to take proper conformation pictures. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by