Horse people opinions (pic)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by luvchicks8, Nov 20, 2010.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    This is a rescue "mustang" she is over weight I know that this is do to her never being riden before. She does allow the farrier (sp) to do her feet also a blanketed and brideled. When you put the saddle all heck brakes lose. My mother brakes horses and I can get her for free to work with. What do you all think????

Pics not very good as i was far away

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    She sure is a chunk I'll say that LOL. Your Mom may prefer for her to be on the fat side come breaking time, she will tire faster and not have as much fight to her.

AL

3. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Probably not. Many horses with that much fat on them, will be very, very sassy and fight back all the more.

I'd take a closer look at the horse health wise, and get a vet out to see if it has some medical problem before I thought about buying. A fat horse isn't always a healthy horse. They can have some pretty serious problems.

Going only by what you said, I'd say no, you should not take on the horse. An adult horse that is unbroke and fights that hard just because someone puts on a saddle, shouldn't go to a young person like yourself, even if your mom does work with horses. It should go to a professional breaker. Then depending on how the horse is doing after some months with the pro, a decision could be made.

The horse might come around fairly easily, but I would not count on it. I would leave it to a pro. A young person needs a 'Youth Horse', one that is broke and trained, and can give them tons of wonderful experiences showing, trail riding, and just having fun, without breaking the person's neck.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  4. Harris5

Harris5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Northern CA
    Perhaps you should not limit yourself to a fat and sassy mustang who has never been ridden before. With the current economy you may be surprised at the decent horses you can find. Especially if you are a youth. Your Mom may appreciate you finding a better suited prospect to work with as well.

5. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Quote:Oh sorry I am not a youth(32) My mother and I have broken a good many horses together,She is WAY better than I am. Last horse we broke was 14 never ridden named Penny and by the time we were done working with her my 4 year old neice could ride her. This Mustang has a very sweet personality but the people who own her took her in as a rescue who don't even ride horses. They started her right of by trying to throw a saddle on her back and hop on.

6. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Sounds like you're gonna do it regardless....

The comments are not limited to young persons...it's too much for most adult riders to take on as well.

7. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I would get a trainer

8. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I have a vet coming with me at 1pm today. An as far as a trainer the two people that I have working with her are as good as any trainer. So if any of these people say no than it stops there. So I am not yet set about getting her yet.

9. Harris5

Harris5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Northern CA
    Quote:Oh sorry I am not a youth(32) My mother and I have broken a good many horses together,She is WAY better than I am. Last horse we broke was 14 never ridden named Penny and by the time we were done working with her my 4 year old neice could ride her. This Mustang has a very sweet personality but the people who own her took her in as a rescue who don't even ride horses. They started her right of by trying to throw a saddle on her back and hop on.

Good to know you are not a youth if you are considering the project. I still think you can find some really decent young project horses that may be better to work with. Just remember, free horses are never truly free when you factor in the cost of caring for one [​IMG]

10. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    pretty girl! if all heck breaks loose when she is saddled it might be a good idea to get a equine chiropractor out !

good luck with her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by