Horse people

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BarbK, Jan 13, 2008.

1. BarbK

BarbK Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    Indiana
    Ok I have a helmet question for ya. I have had trouble finding my petite 4 year old a helmet. I came across one that looks like it might be small enough to fit but I have never heard of it before. Has anyone used or does anyone know of the tipperary helmets?

2. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Sorry can't help , I've rode horses since I was young and have never worn one . It's good to know that you're teaching your daughter a good hobby though ! Horses do teach you alot about life . From shoveling sh** , to being friends ! good luck ![​IMG]

3. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    I use to own a tack store, you can order kid helmets. I have seen them by Cavalier, out of Ontario Canada, but I'm sure other companies have them.

4. BarbK

BarbK Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    Indiana
    Her head is only 18". So far I have tried all the helmets I can find. Dodgegal I don't know if I looked up the right one or not but it didn't give sizes. (maybe I'm just having a blond moment)lol

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  5. SebrightLover

SebrightLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Buckhannon, WV
    They are a ASTM and a SEI certified - so I would say go for it if they have ones that fit your little girl. The better horse companies carry it (Like Dover) so they must be at least acceptable.

From a tack review site:
    Likes: This is a must-have helmet for anyone! It is the MOST comfortable helmet I have EVER worn in my entire life (SERIOUSLY). It has air vents that keep you EXTREMELY comfortable on hot summer days. It fits THE BEST! No other helmet I have EVER tried fits like this. It has VERY comfortable lining. Its unique design is not only sporty, but molds PERFECTLY to your head. The helmet DOESN'T move around at all!! Its leather/nylon straps are easy to adjust! It has a velcro leather peice to protect your chin from the buckle. It is an excellent schooling or cross-country helmet. It comes in the colors grey, blue, and green.

Dislikes: I hate ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about this helmet!!! It is outstanding!!! I love everything about it!!!

Reminds me -- I need to find a helmet this spring - and I have the opposite problem - a big fat head!​

6. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    kensington, maryland
    This is the helmet I am getting ready to buy. I haven't heard anything negative about it. You can google reviews if you want to read the feed back, but let me tell you, it does cost a bit of money. To me, it is worth it, you are protecting your head for crying out loud! LOL, but for some it may be bit costly. It runs about sixty dollars I believe. Something I did read that I found interesting is that it is made to fit a more oval head, where as a troxel, or the more traditional shaped helmets are made for a rounder head. Hope this helps. Oh, I also like the way the visor is designed on this helmet.
    Rachel

7. SebrightLover

SebrightLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Buckhannon, WV
  8. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I've heard the brand name before, but never owned one. Sounds like it's everything you'd need in a helmet - so as they say..."If the helmet fits, buy it!"[​IMG]

I remember I think, you posting about this issue before. Glad you've found one.

9. Malbri

Malbri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    I have a tipperary, it was well worth it. They dont look "alien-ish," they are comfortable, and they protect the back of your neck

10. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    My daughter is an Eventer and she had a tipperary safety vest but I did not know they made helmets. If they are ASTM/SEI approved you are all set depending on the fit and comfort of it for your daughter. As a matter of fact tipperary was the high end of safety vest at the time, I am sure there are many more kinds now but I knew it as a well made product.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by