Horse People ???

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chicks rule, Jan 30, 2008.

1. chicks rule

chicks rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
    Do any of you know if Black Walnuts are toxic to horses? And do you know of any good websites that name plants that are toxic to horses. Thanks

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

sorry don't know about black walnuts.....or sites.......the only thing I AM aware of is that fescue grass is not okay for a pregnant mare

3. chicks rule

chicks rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
  4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    YES they are toxic to horses!!!!! Shavings or whole, they can cause laminitis or founder or very very sick.

Do not use black walnut shavings for their bedding, regular walnut shavings are not but the best rule of thumb is to avoid any walnut shavings if possible. Oak, maple and pine are excellent shavings.

If you have black walnut trees growing in your area, most people I know they would either fence the tree off or cut the tree down.

5. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
  6. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Yes they are.

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    gosh yes. Any kind of walnut, also butternut, tho black walnut is the worst =:eek: Cause laminitis/founder, often severe enough to require euthanasia. I've known people with a single tree growing along a fenceline who did not have any problems, but personally I would not chance them eating the leaves. And walnut in stall shavings is a well known way to ruin or lose a horse.

Pat

8. TB1

TB1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2007
    Pa
    Def Toxic! even after the tree is cut down. The toxins can stay in the soil for up to ONE year!
    totally agree with eveyone. These trees are bad news to our equine friends!!
    TB

9. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your horses, how heart breaking.

I don't know if walnuts were the cause, but I do know that Walnut trees emit a chemical called juglone. It can kill the roots of other plants that touch the roots. The leaves can also effect other plants and rain dripping off the leaves will produce the same toxin.

Any chance your vet did a blood work up on the mare or her colt?

10. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by