horse question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Godsgrl, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Okay, I don't have a horse, but came upon this tip on Thriftyfun.com, and am curious. Someone said you can wash a horse bridle in the dishwasher. Is this a good idea, or would the water and soap warp it or ruin it? I'm thinking with the bridle made out of leather, that it shouldn't get wet. Thoughts on this? Thanks!

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Oh you would never put any leathers in dishwasher, bad idea! Dishwashers are too harsh in their washing cycles. Best thing is to do by hand.

If it is cotton or nylon, it can be done but better if it is in washer and drip dry.

3. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    That is what I was thinking. Thanks Ewesheep.

4. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    It's recommened that you wash Biothane in dishwashers (with the hardware removed), maybe that's what you heard?

Leather can be spot cleaned with *damp* not sopping cloth. I hand wash my nylon and wool gear.

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    What they might have actually meant is that you can wash the bits in the dish washer. I know several people who do this, but I don't think I'd like to put dishes and horse bits in the same dish washer!

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    nylon could go in the dishwasher, but i'd never use one on my horse, lol

7. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    turns out I read the entry wrong. They actually mentioned a synthetic horse harness. Here is the entry:

To clean a synthetic horse harness quickly and easily, use your dishwasher. Do not add detergent and remove before the heat cycle. This works very well.​

8. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Quote:[​IMG]

I felt the same way about putting cloth diapers in it. [​IMG] Never!

9. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Quote:Why not? I would like to learn, thanks

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Biothane is wonderful stuff. Especially for harness, if you do not have someone else to clean it, LOL. Some of the cheaper knockoffs don't seem to hold up well.

I am not wild on biothane or other nylon products for reins, because of the high break strength, but I suppose it depends on your situation and needs.

I've never washed bits in the dishwasher -- you know if you just SOAK them for a few hours or overnight, ALL of the guck comes right off very easily with an old toothbrush -- but I can't see any reason not to. My horse's mouth is undoubtedly cleaner and less of a health hazard than something like chickenmeat from the grocery store [​IMG]

Running a leather bridle thru the dishwasher would be essentially-fatal to the bridle. Not sure it would do the dishwasher a lot of good either LOL

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by