horse shelter?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sjcummings, Jan 20, 2009.

1. sjcummings

sjcummings Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2007
    Shippensburg, PA
    I had a run in vinyl shed in our 2 acer pasture and it was ruined with the high winds we had a while ago. She has his 13x 13 horse stall but it is not next to the pasture for her to go in and out at will. I want my horse to have access to the pasture for exercise I think having her confined so much is wrong. Can she be turned out in good weather without a shelter for a couple hours and be in her stall in bad weather and at night? I am worried about the neighbors calling the animal police on me because they did it last year when my large outside dog was shedding his winter coat and they thought that I was starving him even though my yard was covered in hair and I had already brushed 3 walmart bags from him. I am looking for info because I cant find any when I google it.

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:As long as she has shelter for bad weather she will fine.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    At boarding facilities, the horses genearlly don't have turn-out all day long, they take turns, getting turned out.

Thats my experience. I think if you turn her out and she has food and water, and its a nice day - it would be fine. As long as there is someone around to put her back in her stall if the weather turns bad.

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Is there any way you can put up a lean-to of sorts. I would not stall her unless you HAVE TOO. It is not good for them to be stalled.

5. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    I would leave her out more then in..its not natural for them to be locked up..you could put up a 3 sided and roof shelter pretty cheap..is there any way to run the fence up to her stall so you could just leave it open for her to come and go..good god your neighbors called the cops on you for a shedding dog!!! what is this world coming to [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Well, first, if you are concerned about the SPCA (or whomever), just PHONE them and explain your question and they will tell you what's ok by them, which seems to be your bottom line. Really! They don't bite [​IMG]

But in general, neighbors aside, gee whiz, it is NORMAL to turn horses out all day without a shed available. In really bad weather, esp. really windy cold weather, you might bring 'em in sooner. But I mean heck, look at boarding barns, they hardly EVER have sheds in turnout paddocks and while some only turn horses ouyt for a few hours (boo hiss) *most* put em out for at least eight hours.

Horses are FAR FAR healthier being outside as much as possible. With no shelter from wind there is a limit to how much out *is* possible, but just use common sense.

One option might be to see whether you could get large square bales (preferably straw) stacked 2-4 high to make some degree of temporary windbreak. You'd need access to a tractor wiht a bale spear to do this. It could be old straw or rained-on hay, but be aware it will get a bit moldy so I wouldn't do this for a heavey horse and I wouldn't do it for a horse so food-obsessed it will EAT the shelter.

Another possibility, if your fenceposts are stout and well-set, is to nail extra boards to them in one location (preferably the NW corner) to make some degree of windbreak. It will at least reduce the chilling of the horse's body and legs even though it's short, and horses *do* use shelters like that. You still can't leave the horse out 24/7 that way but it will extend the amount of time he can be out.

Good luck,

Pat

7. oldchickenman

oldchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    we have 11 horses turnd out all the time with just runin sheds i have had some roofs blown off to and even a shed blown down when that happend we parked the dump truck and a van for a wind break and they used it and they were fine. you can even strech. we had to use atarp for awhile for a roof it worked ntill we could replace the roof.

8. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Shoot ours would rather be out in the darn pouring rain than in the barn. I leave our herd out 24/7 with option for cover. Most times the main herd sleeps and hides from weather under a big cluster of oak trees in their pasture. They could care less for the barn really. It is more important to make sure they have water and food and are not starved. Being out is their natural environment.

9. oldchickenman

oldchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    i agree countrymom ours would rather stand out in the rain and snow but they will get next to the shed to block the wind.

10. sjcummings

sjcummings Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2007
    Shippensburg, PA
    I have been letting her out now during the day when I am home. Right now I thought the ground was to frozen to take the fence to her stall. When the vinyl shed was up she did not like to go in it. I had put her mineral bucket that had a handle in it to encourage her to go in -- she took it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by