Horse show help

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Noble Rooster, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Noble Rooster

Noble Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    NY
    So over the weekend I took my rescued Quarter Horse to his first dressage show. We kicked some butt and had a blast doing it! Horse show prep can get pretty busy, so it's always nice when family and friends pitch in to help. Here, one of the girls supervises saddle cleaning:

[​IMG]

"Keep polishing until I can see my reflection!"

2. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    LOL

So cute.

Do you like your Otto?

I am looking for a dressage saddle and can't decide which to get...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  3. Noble Rooster

Apr 28, 2009
    NY
    Quote:I love my Otto (it's a Profi; not sure if they still make that model?). I bought it used from someone at my old barn. This particular one has been great for wide/round-barreled horses (a Shire stallion, a Hanover/TB mare who was built more like a QH, and a QH gelding). It's a nice deep seat but I don't feel like the saddle is holding me in one position. I also have a Stubben (forget which model) which is quite comfortable but with the Otto I feel I'm wrapped around the horse a bit more.

Saddle shopping is so addictive!!! [​IMG]

4. Fuffy

Fuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Jersey, GB
    Lookin' good! [​IMG]
    And well done, too! [​IMG]
    You aren't meant to do sliding stops in the dressage arena [​IMG]

If you fancy coming here, I have lots of tack for you to clean [​IMG]

I usually get a labrador helping with the boots and stirrups

5. Noble Rooster

Apr 28, 2009
    NY
    Quote:No, no sliding stops (though he rocks at those), but he decided that the halt and salute at the beginning and end of the test should include a whinny. It was very cute.

Does your lab carry the stirrups around? I met a barn dog once who would hide stirrups.

6. Fuffy

Fuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Jersey, GB
    YES! 3 labs on a stirrup = Expensive saddle on the floor.

Does your sheet say 'Inattentive-pity'? Hope you got at least an 8 for it!

I had a mare who though'Halt, Immobility, Salute' meant 'trickle forwards...shift around...scream at the judge and leave at high speed' But the rest of the test was all 7s and 8s!

7. Noble Rooster

Apr 28, 2009
    NY
    Quote:No, there were no point issues with the whinnying at the halt/salute, but we got some "distracted" comments for moments when he broke contact because he just had to look at what was going on in the other ring. [​IMG] Judges seem to take different approaches to whinnying. At a rated show I attended 2 years ago, the horse who won Training Level, Test 4 whinnied throughout his test (including the stretchy circle, which took talent) but kept enough focus to win.

That's funny about your mare. It's interesting to see what they decide needs to be added (or taken away) from the movements!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by