Horse Sounds "Nasaly" when Neighing, Tears Daily

rodriguezpoultry

Langshan Lover
11 Years
Jan 4, 2009
Claremore, OK
Hi all,

We just got back to Oklahoma with "Max" and I've noticed a few things. When he goes to "neigh" it is very hoarse and almost sounds like more of a hoarse "eeeeiiiiggghh" that's being whispered. He is the only horse on the property. I believe he may have a cold. However, there is no discharge from his nostrils, no coughing, no wheezing, no irregular heartbeat and no fever. His eyes however, are tearing up on a daily basis. There is no redness in them, just tears constantly. Some days, the tearing is so bad that you can see tear tracts all the way down his face. But, since there is no discharge, the vet is unconcerned. Should I be worried about this?

I've put a fly mask on him today to keep his eyes protected from the wind and debris today. I also wonder if his eyes are becoming sensitive to the bright sunlight? He doesn't seem to have issues with it, but I suppose we will see how his eyes look today.

Had the vet to look at him in PA and he said there was probably an allergy at play since there wasn't really a sign of infection. He had no idea what it could have been, but after looking at some of the hay up there, I have a feeling it was mold. He was almost 200 lbs. underweight when I got him back to OK thanks to the weather not allowing me out to look at him and having to go based on the stable-owner's word. I was LIVID.

The hay down here doesn't have any dust or mold and he has put on weight fairly rapidly. His hooves are growing at a very fast rate and look to be coming in better condition than up there. He is being fed 10% sweet feed, about 2 cups a day. (Literally, measured cups.)

It could also be that his tear ducts are backed up. We had a mare that we had to have her tear ducts flushed once a year.
Just a thought.

Had the vet to look at him in PA and he said there was probably an allergy at play since there wasn't really a sign of infection. He had no idea what it could have been, but after looking at some of the hay up there, I have a feeling it was mold. He was almost 200 lbs. underweight when I got him back to OK thanks to the weather not allowing me out to look at him and having to go based on the stable-owner's word. I was LIVID.

The hay down here doesn't have any dust or mold and he has put on weight fairly rapidly. His hooves are growing at a very fast rate and look to be coming in better condition than up there. He is being fed 10% sweet feed, about 2 cups a day. (Literally, measured cups.)
It does to me sound like an allergy too. He could have been sensitive to something in that particular batch of hay--who knows what was growing in the field. Or it could have been the mold/dust. You could talk to your vet about allergy testing.

If you want more weight gain you could look at weight building supplements and maybe find a feed with a higher fat %. Good luck, hope he gets better.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom