Horse Sounds "Nasaly" when Neighing, Tears Daily

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rodriguezpoultry, Mar 20, 2013.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Hi all,

We just got back to Oklahoma with "Max" and I've noticed a few things. When he goes to "neigh" it is very hoarse and almost sounds like more of a hoarse "eeeeiiiiggghh" that's being whispered. He is the only horse on the property. I believe he may have a cold. However, there is no discharge from his nostrils, no coughing, no wheezing, no irregular heartbeat and no fever. His eyes however, are tearing up on a daily basis. There is no redness in them, just tears constantly. Some days, the tearing is so bad that you can see tear tracts all the way down his face. But, since there is no discharge, the vet is unconcerned. Should I be worried about this?

I've put a fly mask on him today to keep his eyes protected from the wind and debris today. I also wonder if his eyes are becoming sensitive to the bright sunlight? He doesn't seem to have issues with it, but I suppose we will see how his eyes look today.

2. Fly 2006

Fly 2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Hampshire England
    Are you feeding hay? Just wondering about dust or mould? Could he have an allergy do you think?

3. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Has the vet been out to look at him or have you just communicated through the phone?

4. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Had the vet to look at him in PA and he said there was probably an allergy at play since there wasn't really a sign of infection. He had no idea what it could have been, but after looking at some of the hay up there, I have a feeling it was mold. He was almost 200 lbs. underweight when I got him back to OK thanks to the weather not allowing me out to look at him and having to go based on the stable-owner's word. I was LIVID.

The hay down here doesn't have any dust or mold and he has put on weight fairly rapidly. His hooves are growing at a very fast rate and look to be coming in better condition than up there. He is being fed 10% sweet feed, about 2 cups a day. (Literally, measured cups.)

5. Kirchgatter4

Kirchgatter4 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    It could also be that his tear ducts are backed up. We had a mare that we had to have her tear ducts flushed once a year.
    Just a thought.

6. Peaches Lee

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    It does to me sound like an allergy too. He could have been sensitive to something in that particular batch of hay--who knows what was growing in the field. Or it could have been the mold/dust. You could talk to your vet about allergy testing.

If you want more weight gain you could look at weight building supplements and maybe find a feed with a higher fat %. Good luck, hope he gets better. [​IMG]

7. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Oh he is almost back to peak. He still looks a bit trim, but with some good hay and a bit more pasture, he seems to be bouncing back fast.

8. Peaches Lee

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by