Horse stall converted to chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chicky85254, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Chicky85254

Chicky85254 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    AZ & CA
    I'm open to any helpful suggestions. I'm already aware that the run needs to be covered to protect from hawks and am working on getting netting! Anything else?

The interior. It also has a raised wooden floor, since it's an irrigated lot and the dirt floor of the stall tended to get a little muddy. Plus I figured it would help keep anything from digging under to get them.
    [​IMG]

The roost. It's 3' high. Is this too high for Silkies?
    [​IMG]

The autodoor
    [​IMG]

The autodoor in use
    [​IMG]

The attached run
    [​IMG]

Our little flock
    [​IMG]

Roo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  2. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Fantastic ! You have some lucky chickens...and beautiful chickens...what breed are they and how old.?

3. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

wow!!! looks good to me! Where's the nesting boxes? [​IMG]

4. Chicky85254

Sep 22, 2008
    AZ & CA
    Thanks [​IMG] They are about 9 weeks old. I ordered the variety package of bantams from MPC, which was supposed to ensure 4 breeds of chicks....but from what I can guess so far I have 2 silkies, 3 EE's (1white, 1 blue, 1partridge-ish?), and 2 BRs. Regardless, I'm happy with the mix. I keep scouting for my next batch though! [​IMG]

I wasn't sure if I should put nesting boxes in yet?? What size for Bantams? How high off the ground, since there are silkies?

5. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

OMG I want a horse stall!!! That is impressive! Great job!!!

6. Chicky85254

Sep 22, 2008
    AZ & CA
    Yeah, the only real problem I'm having with this...is winter is quickly approaching (albeit, it IS Arizona) and I wanted to bring my horses back. We had hoped to have a new barn built for the horses by now....and the city hasn't even approved it yet! [​IMG]
    Sooooo...if I bring them home, at least one horse is going to be stall-less! [​IMG]

7. Chicky85254

Sep 22, 2008
    AZ & CA
    Quote:Thanks, I wish I could take credit for the work, but all I did was give directions about what I wanted! :|

I DID design the roost though! [​IMG]

8. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Great job on everything! [​IMG] Where did you get your automatic door?

9. Chicky85254

Sep 22, 2008
    AZ & CA
    I read about it on another BYC thread... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=97998

It
    is set up with the timer to openn it in the morning, and the light sensor to close it in the evening. Not the cheapest way to go by any means, but since we aren't living there full time, it was the safest thing for our birds.

10. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Beautiful!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by