1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Horse stall for coop?????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rbriggum, Mar 19, 2012.

1. rbriggum

rbriggum New Egg

Jan 24, 2012
    Will it be ok to use a horse stall for a temp coop? No there is not a horse currently in the stall lol. The stall size is 9'x12'. I can place chicken wire over the top and the rest is fully closed in. I will let the chickens free range during the day and be in the stall at night. I am not totally new to chickens. I had three RIR hens and one rooster last year. I still have my rooster, Conway, but ready to get some more hens. I am ready for my own eggs raised at my own farm. When I can get my pen built I plan to swap breeds to Buff Orps.

2. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I use one of my 12'x12' stalls in the barn as a quarantine area for any new chickens that I bring in. Since it's a quarantine area, they're not allowed to free range but it works out well for my needs.

3. RaeRae2

RaeRae2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    We have one of our horse stalls netted in, and that is currently my chicken house. We are designing and building a new area for them with an outdoor run, but for years our chickens have had a horse stall, and they free range during the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by